PDA

View Full Version : very noob water change question

Boostin S14
07/30/2008, 03:27 PM
I am planning a water change this weekend and want to get my water/salt mix ready for 24 hours, can this be covered or does it have to be open?

Thanks,

Josh

Fish_wiz2
07/30/2008, 03:30 PM
I like it covered so dust and stuff doesn't get in but if you can't cover it is cool, maybe dusty water might get into your tank :p :lol:

StupidsReef
07/30/2008, 03:31 PM
no you can cover it.

sprinj76
07/30/2008, 03:32 PM
I would definitely cover it. If you are heating and circulating the water you will lose a lot in evaporation, also you can get stuff in the water.

jthao
07/30/2008, 04:23 PM
cover or not, it doesn't matter. better covered though.

Boostin S14
07/31/2008, 01:22 PM
Perfect, thanks for the replies, I have my mix settling right now (covered) for tomorrows change. My camera is on the fritz right now or I would have some pix for you fellow RC'ers (of the tank, not the water sitting in the buckets lol).

alpha0r
07/31/2008, 01:33 PM
I cover mine and run an airstone. Fresh RO/DI has very little oxygen.

seapug
07/31/2008, 02:49 PM
Evaporation shouldn't be significant in that short of a time period and you can always add a little fresh water to replace it if it does happen. Either way, I would not use a tight fitting lid as part of the idea of aging it is to let the CO2 and Oxygen in the water to balance with that of the outside air, as alphaOr mentioned. This can have a significant effect on the pH of freshly mixed saltwater.

aquaman67
07/31/2008, 03:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13062197#post13062197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug
Evaporation shouldn't be significant in that short of a time period and you can always add a little fresh water to replace it if it does happen. Either way, I would not use a tight fitting lid as part of the idea of aging it is to let the CO2 and Oxygen in the water to balance with that of the outside air, as alphaOr mentioned. This can have a significant effect on the pH of freshly mixed saltwater.

+1

che25
07/31/2008, 03:28 PM
Always cover mine. It keeps my kid from putting corn flakes in the salt water.

EllieSuz
07/31/2008, 03:36 PM
Josh, you didn't say whether you were going to keep your new water aerated and heated. In case you weren't aware, you should always have the water moving. This can be done with an air pump and stone or any submersible pump sized to fit the container you mix water in. Most of us keep a small heater just for the purpose of keeping our change water approximately the same temperature as the Display Tank. This simplifies the process. Sorry if I'm giving you information you already know.

sprinj76
07/31/2008, 03:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13062197#post13062197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug

This is true, I guess I have the problem of planning a water change in 24 hours and it usually doesn't happen for 3-4 days . . . so i would lose a lot of water without a cover.

seapug
07/31/2008, 04:59 PM
I store all of mine in a brute trashcan with the standard lid. It has a heater and powerhead in it. Most of the evap condenses on the inside of the lid and falls right back in when I take the lid off for a water change. I've been doing this with weekly water changes for almost 2 years and never had any probs with fluctuating salinity.

Plus, even if you do evaporate a gallon of water, it's easy to replace it with some fresh water. If it's been mixing for 24 hours it won't take long for it to balance back out.

smoothlarryhughes
07/31/2008, 08:46 PM
i always keep mine covered to avoid evaporation

Boostin S14
08/01/2008, 01:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13062536#post13062536 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by EllieSuz
Josh, you didn't say whether you were going to keep your new water aerated and heated. In case you weren't aware, you should always have the water moving. This can be done with an air pump and stone or any submersible pump sized to fit the container you mix water in. Most of us keep a small heater just for the purpose of keeping our change water approximately the same temperature as the Display Tank. This simplifies the process. Sorry if I'm giving you information you already know.

I was not aware of this, thank you. So if I am doing 7-8 gallons a week in 2 seperate 5 gallon buckets, will an air stone in each be sufficient if it is only sitting for 24 hours?

inachu
08/01/2008, 01:18 PM
You can do the water yourself or have it premade at most LFS and for 5 gallons you can ask for salted or unsatled RO/DI water.

I never knew they made the water themselves and was a REAL time save so I could spend more time on world of warcraft.

FishTruck
08/01/2008, 01:20 PM
The key is to aereate your RO/DI BEFORE you add the salt. This will get out dissolved CO2 which can lead to much lower ALK if you mix in water straight out of the RO/DI. Vigourous circulation is then required to dissolve the salt without precipitation. After this, you can seal the lid and primarily worry about temp and evaporation.