PDA

View Full Version : Best reef safe wrasse for pest snail removal?

rydr119
07/30/2008, 07:51 PM
I have these really small snails in my 65 that i am convinced are eating my clams on the sand. I think they are Volvarina philippinarum. Anyway Whats gonna eat these things they are super small. I am looking for a wrasse that will eat them but not bother my other stuff, like shrimps and stuff. Would a twin spot work? Also This fish wouldn't be living in my 65 for an extended amount of time. I have a new tank being built (183gal). It needs to get along with my current fish as well.
1-blue hippo
1-2 barred rabbit
2- lyretail anthias
1- bi-color blenny
1-watchman goby
and 1 tomato clown
Thanks Gina

ssavader
07/30/2008, 08:18 PM
Look at the Melanurus Wrasse. They are beautiful and effective snail disposal units. Mine will vouch for that.

unbreakable
07/30/2008, 08:52 PM
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+386&pcatid=386&N=0 yellow coris wrasse i dont agree that it should go in a 30g though

its always out in the open and looks at the sandbed to see whats to eat. really shy though. i have some of those pyram snails that traveled over, and i dont think youre going to get rid of them with just a fish to control it. the snails come out at night, and the wrasse sleeps while theyre out. there are times when the wrasse will catch one in the sandbed, but its pretty rare

your best best is to inspect your clean up crew to see if anything is attached to them. they like to attach to astrea snails. other thing to do is look at the bottom of the clam and take them off. i have seen them travel onto the glass at night

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2675&pcatid=2675&N=0

you cant add those two fish in the same tank

alprazo
07/30/2008, 09:39 PM
I've tried three diferent sixline, a green, and a mystery wrasse without luck. Now I Clean the clams from time to time to keep the load down.

If you find one, please let me know. It is a royal pain to take out my 13 inch clam and clean it with a toothbrush after the lights go off.

650-IS350
07/30/2008, 10:46 PM
Yellow coris, green seagrasss wrasses..

you can probably try leopards too.

rydr119
07/31/2008, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the help. I didn't think a fish would do the whole job, but someone suggested it to me and I needed some second opinions.