PDA

View Full Version : New tank

kmaner
07/30/2008, 08:17 PM
I have recently upgraded from a 22 t o a 70 gal reef ready tank. I used the live rock that I had and added approx 60 more pounds. I have 40 lbs of live sand and I upgraded my lights from power compact to a 150 metal halide with actinic power compacts. I am not sure what is going on but it does not look good. Since the move, July 3, my super easy corals, leahters, mushrooms, etc are dying. My harder items frog spawn, torch, ricordea, polyps, etc. seem stressed but ok. My water quality is good Nitrates below 20 and ph hoovering around 8.2-8.4 salinity is 1.024. My water is not clear...I think that I may have very small air bubbles being dispersed into my tank. Could this cause issues with my leathers? I am also having a huge crop of green algea on my corals. How do I get this off or will it be ok. I am concerned that it may be smothering the corals

padi200
07/30/2008, 08:26 PM
Did you move you old sand to the new tank? If so that may have caused the problem.

padi200
07/30/2008, 08:37 PM
I always use new sand, some wash their old sand, and wash it very well.
Unwashed sand might have released things into your water that do that you describe. HOPE NOT,

What have you tried so far?

smoothlarryhughes
07/31/2008, 06:30 PM
I would use new sand and seed it with some of the old.