PDA

View Full Version : What is a good blenny for a 72 gallon tank?

Dyepes
07/30/2008, 11:36 PM
I would be interested in a blenny for my 72 gallons tank. Would have to not be agressive towards my yellow watchman, raindfords goby, spotted mandarin, green clown goby, green chromis or royal gramma. I had found an interesting one of a local beach, but it died before I could get it home, which got me realizing I had no idea what kind it was or whether it was even reef safe.

I know I do not really want a scooter blenny just because he looks similar to my spotted mandarin.

Other than a green cap and green slimer sp's my coral are softies (zoas, shrooms, trees) or lp's (brain and frogspawn).

With all that in consideration, which one is the best for me?

chrisstie
07/31/2008, 08:25 AM
The scooter blenny is actually a dragonet, and not a blenny, just like your mandarin so thats a good call :)

Generally speaking, the majority of blennies will fit the bill for what you ask. For great personality and more of a meat eater, AND with a tight lid over the tank so to speak, I recommend a Midas Blenny. They are gorgeous fish, however are prone to jumping.

If you're not willing to take that risk the Escensius blennies offer a lot of personality as well as omnivore habits and will munch on your rock as well as whatever you feed your tank. My personal favorite of these is the Tailspot blenny.

If you like bigger blennies check out the one that goes by the name of Sailfin - sometimes gold, sometimes almost black, a big blunt funny face and a whole lot of heart. He'll keep your algae in check and perch around to watch your other fish.

Since you don't want anything aggresive I dont recommend the lawnmower type blennies. Typically they're fine, but every once in a while one will come along thats a bit territorial or even mean (I'd personally avoid red lips too). They can just be a bit nippy sometimes. They are grazers, true, but they will get bigger than most other blennies, or should I say longer? And are some of the only few I've heard this complaint about. Some are sweet, some are mean, its really up to the individual fish. I'd pick these guys last unless I had a big tank to support any kind of territorial disputes

Dyepes
07/31/2008, 10:14 AM
Ahh yes I believe that tailspot blenny is just the character I would love to have in there. Do you believe I should order them online, or should I ask my LFS to attempt to get some in?

What are the general availabilities of these fish? Are they difficult to come by? I do not typically see them in an LFS, but then again I have not really gone there for fish as much as supplies for some time, so I may have missed them. Are they simply easier to just order online?

chrisstie
08/01/2008, 07:51 AM
Well, I'm not too familliar with the stores in Tampa, only get to that side of the state occasionally, but availability of most fish tend to wax and wane I think. When reminded, our local stores seem to get them in frequently.

I would perhaps talk to your LFS and make sure they're familiar with the fish and see if they can try to order it. If they can its great because you can make sure the fish is eating and all that great stuff before taking them home. I always try to do this. Otherwise I don't see anything wrong with ordering online. They're relatively hardy, you just dont get to see exactly what comes to do the door before its there.

Best of luck with whichever you decide!

Dyepes
08/01/2008, 11:57 AM
I printed out the page from Live aquaria and am gonna take it to the LFs which is only like 3 lights from my house. I would not mind ordering online, but I can wait for them to get it in so I dont have to pay extra for the cost of shipping.

Thanks for the info, this little fella is really cute.