PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic tank repair

dteske
07/30/2008, 11:41 PM
While moving our latest tank (a used 300g 96"x24"x31" acrylic), my hand slipped and my end of the tank hit the ground. Luckily no toes were in the way! I didn't notice it at the time, but after getting the tank home I noticed a crack in the euro bracing at the back of the tank.

It was built by Tenecor and so I figured I'd see if they had any suggestions. To be honest I wasn't expecting a response and was pleasantly surprised to get a very detailed response from Jared at Tenecor. He even asked me to take some pics of the crack to see if it was repairable. That's when I noticed the crack had also gone into the back panel of the tank. Doh! A simple patch kit wasn't going to save this tank.

http://daveteske.com/images/tankcrack1.jpg

Tenecor offered to cut down the tank below the crack and put on a new top at a very reasonable price but the shipping from PA to AZ is too steep.

So now my plan is to try and do the same thing myself. First cut the tank down, below the crack. Repair the top. Put the top back on.

So any suggestions? I've got a router and was planning on getting an edge guide/fence.

I'd really appreciate any tips/advice. I'm pretty handy, but haven't done any work with acrylics yet. At this point I don't have anything to lose.

Seththereefer
07/31/2008, 12:56 AM
I'm very sorry to hear that, but unfortunately things like that happens. I'll try to give you an advise how I would work on it and then I'm pretty sure someone else will give you more thoughts and after all you'll probably have good idea how to fix it. First of all you need hand circular saw with good carbide tipped blade on it. It's recommended to use triple chip blade to cut an acrylic , but I'm not sure if you can get one in 7-1/4" size, and they're bit pricey. So, my point is that you can use something like 40 tooth carbide tipped blade and run it a few times every time increasing the depth on the same run. Then get some true straight edge to use it as a guide long enough for the length of the tank. Clamp it to the tank using strong enough clamps and pieces of some soft wood or 3/4" plywood on the other (opposite) side of the tank to protect the tank from being damaged by the clamps. Aluminum box straight edge would be the best or you can use regular aluminum level. Then make sure you'll clamp it at least 1-1/2" lower then where your cut supposed to be- this is the clearance for the saw foot. Check the dimension from the blade to the edge of the saw it can be different or different models. I think best would be if you'll make your cuts in 1/8" increments. After top is removed clean edges with router and three fluted straight bit using the same straight edge adjusted for the router's dimension between the edge of router's base and cutter of the three fluted router's bit. Two fluted bit will do the job but if you'll need to by one- buy it with three flutes. Also make sure that your bit has a little ball bearing mounted at the end opposite from router's collet. It will have small threaded nut on the bottom of the bit. After you've cleaned edges by removing saw marks with the router, remove the remaining of the tank walls from the top using the same router and same bit with guiding bearing for flush cut. If you don't feel comfortable to remove remaining of the walls then you can clamp your straight edge under your top flipped upside down, or you can even glue it to the tank first and then rout off those excesses. Type "TAP" in the search bar of youtube dot com and you'll be able to watch short movies about how to work with acrylic. Hope I didn't make it to complicated to understand it but I'm sure you're probably now most of this stuff and techniques without my teaching, and I'm sure somebody else will give you even better advise on your project. Wish to see this tank someday being TOTM!!! Good luck!

saveafish
07/31/2008, 10:52 AM
Yes This is a good way to do it. It looks like the crack has gone in to the side of the tank this will have to be done all the way to it and it is always good to go about 1/4 past the crack end to stop it from starting again. There is a thread on here about working with acrylic find it and pm the thread starter he will walk you through it step by step.