PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of addind another fixture,what will this accomplish?

hops523
07/31/2008, 07:21 AM
I have a 20 gallon high with one T5 fixture. Its a nova extreme 2x24 watt bulbs. I currently have a frogspawn, candy canes,trachyphyllia brain, kenya tree,zoas, maze brain(still dont know if it really is a maze),mushrooms, and a pagoda cup coral. The candies have started to grow new mouths,the zoas have spread like crazy since Ive had them,etc. If I added another nova extreme 48 watt fixture,would that do anything? Would I be able to keep more high light coral? If so what type? Would I be accomplishing anything with adding another light?

hops523
07/31/2008, 08:53 AM
bump

Poorcollegereef
07/31/2008, 10:03 AM
not really. I recieved two of the exact same fixtures froma friend that did the same thing and he went with a 150w MH. I have both running, mostly as a holding tank on a 20g where I have some cut zoas and mushrooms. I am evening planning to upgrade now. You wont be able to keep sps, even my monties faded out before I moved them back into my main tank. Also, the fixtrues dont fit well side by side due to the cords...buy a better light and save money.

hops523
07/31/2008, 10:47 AM
So your saying getting the same fixture wont make a difference? And are you saying get a better brand of T5 lighting?

Poorcollegereef
07/31/2008, 10:55 AM
Well, adding the same fixture really will not add anything benefitial. You would want a fixture with individual reflectors, if not higher wattage... other other option you could do is to overdrive the bulbs but individual reflectors may add the same benefit. As far as upgrading, I am a metal halide fan so I will go that route. Check out the t-5 thread for some good ideas