PDA

View Full Version : Ultraviolet Sterilizer on Home Reef Aquarium Poll.

Jasonanatal
07/31/2008, 10:46 AM
As much debate as this topic sparks I would like to keep the poll simple. My Ultraviolet Sterilizer broke and before I decide to repair it I wanted to see if their are actual pros and cons on individuals that have actually used them or are using them on their home Reef Aquariums.

At first when it broke I would get tons of Algae on the glass but that has since cleared up about 1 week ago and now cleaning my glass happens about once a week rather then daily. I have also noticed tonz and tonz of what appear to be copapods and amphipods crawling on the aquarium glass.

inachu
07/31/2008, 11:17 AM
another options should be

- I do not use a UV filter.

Jasonanatal
07/31/2008, 11:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13060773#post13060773 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by inachu
another options should be

- I do not use a UV filter.

Inachu, this thread is meant for individuals that use a UV since I know what the results are without using a UV.

saveafish
07/31/2008, 12:06 PM
UV is good for multi tanks plumed together. ozone is great.

jpa0741
07/31/2008, 02:02 PM
I use UV and ozone. I am happy with the results. I used UV on my last tank and helped me keep ich from showing up (I know this up for debate). I incorporated in my new tank and also added ozone. My water stays very clear. Other then that I don't really know how much it does. I live by if not broke don't fix.

inachu
07/31/2008, 02:50 PM
I guess I'll have to dive into this and buy one myself.

What size should I get for a 55 long?

SeanT
07/31/2008, 07:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13060545#post13060545 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jasonanatal
I have also noticed tonz and tonz of what appear to be copapods and amphipods crawling on the aquarium glass.
I would not automatically assume that this is a "positive" occurrence.

Aquarist007
07/31/2008, 10:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13060825#post13060825 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jasonanatal
Inachu, this thread is meant for individuals that use a UV since I know what the results are without using a UV.

IMO Inachu has made a good point

And what are the results of not using a uv sterilzer?

kgross
08/01/2008, 09:53 PM
I have used a UV in the past but I do not think they are good for reef tanks. For fish tanks they are very good. The problem with the UV is that they kill everything that goes though them, including all the pods etc that could be coral food. So running on on a reef tank removes the very limited amount of live coral food that is your tank to begin with. On a fish tank they are good, since they also kill everything that goes though them, including fish parasites (which could be coral food in heavily stocked reef tank).

Kim

Aquarist007
08/01/2008, 10:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13072090#post13072090 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kgross
I have used a UV in the past but I do not think they are good for reef tanks. For fish tanks they are very good. The problem with the UV is that they kill everything that goes though them, including all the pods etc that could be coral food. So running on on a reef tank removes the very limited amount of live coral food that is your tank to begin with. On a fish tank they are good, since they also kill everything that goes though them, including fish parasites (which could be coral food in heavily stocked reef tank).

Kim
I share a differing opionion on UV sterilizers

we have discussed uv's on the refugium and macro algae thread and the misconceptions thread
the consensus is that they don't kill off copopods ect from the fuge and they do a lack lustre job on bacteria. They do however get rid of algae in the water

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1349443

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1187329&highlight=common+misconceptions