PDA

View Full Version : Returnee...

PaddyBear
07/31/2008, 11:49 AM
Hi

I am returning to reef keeping after a 1 1/2 year pause where I relocated to the Netherlands. My living situation is now stable enough to allow me to start keeping a tank again.

When I last kept a tank, I was very inexperienced. I made a lot of mistakes and made bad decisions based on this lack of experience but most importantly, I had not planned my tank. My main modus operandi was based on what was cheap on eBay. The end result was expensive, unsatisfactory and did not work.

I had 2 x 180L tanks. My original intention was vaguely to have 1 tank as a seahorse habitat and the other as a reef tank, specifically a Red sea habitat. However, I didn't do my research properly and never managed to mature the two tanks adequately and was plagued by algae blooms and cloudy water. I gradually lost interest.

I am trying to do things very differently now and to plan and research long before I buy any equipment or livestock. Hence my membership of this and other reef forums on the Internet. Look out for lots of question marks in my posts!!

I still like the idea of 2 tanks but will probably start with a single reef tank. My provisional intention is to build a base on which to stand the 2 tanks side by side. I was thinking of 2 Juwel Vision 260 tanks. I would use the space underneath for equipment and a large sump tank of possible 400L.

My first question: would it be possible to use a single sump for both tanks. I saw my LFS doing something similar, I think. I could fit up to a 400L tank in the available space if necessary. This would allow a combined volume of around 900L and would provide more stable water conditions. I could also fit a RO in the storage area underneath the tanks and plumb it into the sink. Is this reasoning sound or not?

I would also like to keep the system as natural as possible. I'm quite taken by the book "Natural Reef Aquariums" written by John H Tullock where he describes a natural aquarium using nothing but live rock and a good quality skimmer.

I also like the sound of a Jaubert or Monaco style plenum system with its 'less technology and more biology' approach. I like the idea that all this life is happening in my tank.

I read that I would need 1kg LR for every 5L water. This means that I would need 180kg of LR. That's almost €2000 and way out of my price range at the moment.

Would it be feasible to start with a Jaubert system and then gradually add LR. If so, would the plenum be in the sump or the main tank/s?

Questions, questions questions.

My idea would be to start off small with soft corals like Xenia and to spend as long as it takes to understand tank chemistry and to aim for excellent water quality before I start on the serious stuff. Does this sound reasonable.

That's all for the time being. I'm writing this as a way of introducing myself to the forum and to begin the process of becoming areef-keeper.

Thanks for you patience and anticipated help.

Brian

Playa-1
07/31/2008, 12:22 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/1588989513Reefnut_welcome.gif
To Reef Central

My first question: would it be possible to use a single sump for both tanks.
Yes, you can tie in two separate displays to one sump/fuge with careful consideration to plumbing.

I would also like to keep the system as natural as possible. I'm quite taken by the book "Natural Reef Aquariums" written by John H Tullock where he describes a natural aquarium using nothing but live rock and a good quality skimmer.
I agree, This is an excellent way to proceed. Just make sure you have the proper amount of liverock and a good Protein Skimmer that is sized properly for the workload.

I also like the sound of a Jaubert or Monaco style plenum system with its 'less technology and more biology' approach. I like the idea that all this life is happening in my tank.
I also like the idea but I don't believe it's always necessary to go that route. I left room in my fuge to add a DSB if I want to later and I could always add a remote DSB if I find the need later. For the time being I'm running Liverock rubble and Chaeto in my fuge.

I read that I would need 1kg LR for every 5L water.
I would suggest about 2.2kg of liverock for every 3.8 liters of water in the display tank.

Would it be feasible to start with a Jaubert system and then gradually add LR. If so, would the plenum be in the sump or the main tank/s?
I would recommend that you wait to set up the tank until you have the funds available to put all the liverock in the tank. The liverock is very important to the filtration process in this type of setup. You could consider artificial liverock or base rock. Both can be seeded to get good results, usually with less out of pocket expense up front. If you choose to go with a plenum and a DSB you would be wise to put in in a fuge or in a remote DSB.

My idea would be to start off small with soft corals like Xenia and to spend as long as it takes to understand tank chemistry and to aim for excellent water quality before I start on the serious stuff. Does this sound reasonable.
That's a good idea.