PDA

View Full Version : Adding water to tank: do you add salt?

PotRoast
07/31/2008, 02:34 PM
I need to add water to my tank due to evaporation. I bet I have to add 15-20 gallons to a 240 gallon.

Do I need to mix reef crystals into this RO/DI water? Or do I just use RO/DI water?

I know, dumb question but still.....this is the new to hobby forum!

phenom5
07/31/2008, 02:36 PM
Add freshwater. Water evaporates, salt doesn't.

natas
07/31/2008, 02:36 PM
No you just add ro/di water to make up for the evaporation.

The salt stays in the tank, so the more water that evaporates the higher the salinity.

PotRoast
07/31/2008, 02:48 PM
thanks. This is what I figured.

However....

I have a couple 5 gallon tubs of reef crystals. I assume I will need them when I do a water change? Is this correct?

pixburg-reefer
07/31/2008, 03:12 PM
Yes, when you do a water change you are removing saltwater, so if you were to add R/O water with no salt, you would lower the salinity. If you add saltwater as a top off, as said before salt does not evaporate, so you would raise the salinity. You want to keep the salinity around/at 35 ppt. You will use the reef crystals when you do a water change. Make sure that you let the saltwater mix (usually put a power head in the new water) and I generally let the water mix over night. However just make sure that you check the salinity of the new water with your hydrometer. About 750 grams of salt will make exactly 35 ppt of saltwater. Water changes are important to remove impurities and keep elements/minerals replenished in your tank. It keeps the algae down and the water quality good. In a large tank like you have, it will take more time for the salinity to fluctuate with evaporating water, however you will probably need to top it off a few gallons a day. It's best to add this freshwater to your sump if possible, instead of dumping it directly into the tank ontop of your corals (if you have any) but it will also keep your coraline algae from bleaching. Many people have varying degrees as to how much/how often they do water changes, but 5-10% a week or every other week is helpful to the tank. Make sure to keep Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and pH tests on hand to keep your water quality in check to find the proper water change routine.

Kelly

smoothlarryhughes
07/31/2008, 06:35 PM
just water...only add saltwater when you do water changes

ethank77
07/31/2008, 07:07 PM
ro water in the sump smaller amounts more often a good idea also keep an eye on salinity with quality meeter or refractometer