PDA

View Full Version : Vodka Dosing Start Up

edenboy1
08/01/2008, 01:14 AM
I am having problems with my nitrates (20 ppm), after reading about vodka dosing I am interested in trying. Need some help on how to start. Skimmed through a few posts but, by the time I read, re-read and finally figure things out it may be a few weeks from now. Can someone give me advice on whether or not I should actually start vodka dosing and if so, help me understand the basics. My nitrates have been steady at about 20 ppm. water changes weekly have not helped. I am running a crapy Via aqua skimmer. Any input would be helpful.

gavinthefish
08/01/2008, 06:00 AM
Get a better skimmer and dose the vodka orally, it will be much more fun and you may forget about the nitrates after a bottle or two.

SunnyX
08/01/2008, 06:20 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13066366#post13066366 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gavinthefish
Get a better skimmer and dose the vodka orally, it will be much more fun and you may forget about the nitrates after a bottle or two.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nauticac4
08/01/2008, 06:33 AM
First - I am not an expert so take everything I say with a grain of salt I am only about a month ahead of you.

1. Skimming is a huge part of vodka dosing might wanna consider an upgrade. The vodka acts as a carbon source for the bacteria to feed on and will bind up the nitrates and phosphates. The bacteria are "carbon" limited and cannot increase in population due to lack of usable carbon.

2. Go very slow. In my 120 I dosed .5ml to abput 150-160 gallons of water for the first 3 days then gradually increased to 1 ml from days 4-7 and then up to 1.5 over the next 7 days. Overdosing can lead to a nice white bloom in the water column which is an explosion of bacterial growth

3. Much of what I have read has advocated some sort of bacterial boost such as prodibio so that a monoculture doesn't form in the tank. there are also post out there about posting aminos and other additives using the vodka method.

Chrisrush
08/01/2008, 08:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13066468#post13066468 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nauticac4
First - I am not an expert so take everything I say with a grain of salt I am only about a month ahead of you.

1. Skimming is a huge part of vodka dosing might wanna consider an upgrade. The vodka acts as a carbon source for the bacteria to feed on and will bind up the nitrates and phosphates. The bacteria are "carbon" limited and cannot increase in population due to lack of usable carbon.

2. Go very slow. In my 120 I dosed .5ml to abput 150-160 gallons of water for the first 3 days then gradually increased to 1 ml from days 4-7 and then up to 1.5 over the next 7 days. Overdosing can lead to a nice white bloom in the water column which is an explosion of bacterial growth

3. Much of what I have read has advocated some sort of bacterial boost such as prodibio so that a monoculture doesn't form in the tank. there are also post out there about posting aminos and other additives using the vodka method.

This is a good start, although many will argue about the monoculture bit. I don't believe it, but I still add biodigest to diversify my bac population.

I would get a better skimmer. Without a decent skimmer, you won't see the full affects of vodka dosing, and in the event of an OD, your skimmer won't provide enough O2 to sustain any life in your tank. Depending on how big your tank is, what corals you have, etc., 20 ppm nitrates may not be that big of a deal. Work on lowering them by decreasing feeding, getting a better skimmer and then start thinking about vodka (carbon) dosing. Also, read the vodka threads and glassbox-designs blog on VSV.

edenboy1
08/01/2008, 08:39 AM
Researching new skimmers. Thinking about the Octopus DNW 200 recirc skimmer (any thoughts or comments). To begin dosing do I need to mix the vodka with anything also which brand of vodka is recommended.

stony_corals
08/01/2008, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't use Grey Goose :) Sure any vodka will do. You do need to understand what ethanol content it has as that'll dictate your dosing. I use Krakov vodka (the one in a plastic bottle). Read up, here's my thread, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1225324, the best thing you can do right now is upgrade your skimmer and remember to go slow, vodka isn't an overnight solution.

I can not speak for that skimmer I have no experience, but it sounds like you are moving in the right direction.

edenboy1
08/01/2008, 10:09 AM
Definately going to upgrade skimmer immediately. Any suggetions on which one for a moderately stocked 125. Looking to spend about 300 bucks

Chrisrush
08/01/2008, 12:10 PM
What's the total gallonage? I see you have listed 125 gallon with 55 gallon sump. How many tangs?

stony_corals
08/01/2008, 12:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13067852#post13067852 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by edenboy1
Definately going to upgrade skimmer immediately. Any suggetions on which one for a moderately stocked 125. Looking to spend about 300 bucks

I'd looking into the MSX, I haven't run any of them, but they seem to be getting good reviews and are within that price range, i believe.