PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin Shrimp

buttons buster
08/01/2008, 01:30 AM
I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some good links to info about them?

Thanks in advance

shivvy
08/01/2008, 02:18 PM
http://www.chucksaddiction.com/harlequinshrimp.html

this is what I read before I took the plunge, great stuff.

buttons buster
08/02/2008, 12:45 AM
If I have two of them in an eight gallon aquarium would I need a protein skimmer to keep up with the bioload?

Also will the dead starfish cause an ammonia spike and how do I compensate for this?

NemusMaximus
08/02/2008, 05:08 PM
That was a really good link shivvy. Thanks.

shivvy
08/02/2008, 07:15 PM
no prob!

I didn't need a skimmer for it. I didn't have any fish in there. Just the harlequins, rock, and a couple easy corals.

The stars shouldn't cause any spikes if you keep an eye on it. Harlequins naturally try to keep the starfish alive for as long as possible.

They flip it and stand on the star while eating 1 leg at a time, leaving the center for last. So the starfish doesn't die out and rot.

You can't guarantee the starfish wont die, so keep an eye on it and watch your levels, followed by your frequent water changes and you should be fine.

buttons buster
08/03/2008, 01:31 AM
yes very nice link.

How much flow should I provide for them?

FOSELONE
08/03/2008, 12:18 PM
i like harlequins too...too bad they only eat starfish...

shivvy
08/04/2008, 08:22 AM
Just enough flow to keep deitrus up.

Too much direct flow and they have a problem walking around.

JLAURIA751
08/06/2008, 10:20 AM
those are really cool looking shimp I have a question I have alot of little starfish that came with my live rock, would they eat them? and could they live just on the starfish that are in the tank. or would the exaust their food supply quickly. iv seen quite a few they hide in little holes, never come out just stick their arms out at night.

R_Hudson
08/06/2008, 04:50 PM
unfortunately they will deplete the asterina stars within a couple of weeks. but you can get a choc. chip star from the lfs for around 6-8 bucks and that will last them about a month. if you have a sump you can get a few of them and just rotate them every week or so and they will regenerate by the time they are put back as food. as far as the skimmer...you shouldnt have to add one just because you have a harlequin...they are no different than any other shrimp in the amount of waste they produce ( at least i cant tell a difference). as far as the dead star causing ammonia...when the star is finally killed it wont be very long at all before its compeletly gone so it doesnt really rot or disintegrade so ammonia shouldnt be much of a factor. I hope this helps