PDA

View Full Version : recognize symptoms of my sick leather?

williah
08/01/2008, 09:55 AM
I've had a yellow fiji leather, 6 inches diameter fully opened, for about 5months, from when I started putting coral into my (well-prepared) tank.

It has never fully opened up the way it was at the store.
I have it placed towards the center/top of the tank with nothing above or around it. The flow in my tank around it is medium to high. The lighting is strong.

It has now remained bunched up/closed for close to a month. Over the last 1-2 weeks it has developed what looks like a brown coating/discoloring, when before it was a strong yellow.

Also, this week, one edge of it, around 3/4 inch in length, lost it's color and appears white. It looks like the color/flesh flaked off to reveal white beneath.

I immediately did a citrus dip (2 days ago) and it doesn't seem to have gotten worse, but it hasn't gotten better either.

My nitrate has been a little high, between 5-10 (out of the 0-160 color chart), for the last 3 weeks. I've done water changes once a week to control it, and have reduced my feedings.

Does anyone recognize these symptoms and is their any advise to treat/help/cure?

gh0st
08/02/2008, 10:01 AM
What are your other water parameters like?

It may just be trying to shed and not getting enough water flow, or it may have gotten bruised a little.

Either way, give it good flow.

williah
08/02/2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks gh0st.

Most of my levels are fine: Ammonia & Nitrite are 0. Ph is 8.2. Phosphates are 0.

My nitrate is 5-10 out of the 0-160 scale. My Calcium is 480-500.
These are the only high readings.

I am definately moving to a higher flow area.

Bud Reeferman
08/02/2008, 07:06 PM
I think your calcium is too high for softies. Mine do better in the low 400s.

gh0st
08/03/2008, 09:01 AM
Calcium being too high is a possibilty, most likely your Alkalinity is a bit low because of the high Calcium. Test your Alk, and if it's low boosting it should help as well.

Scott M
08/03/2008, 07:42 PM
agreed, get you kH up to 8-10 and see how it goes, sorry to hear about your troubles.

williah
08/05/2008, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the support, All. I will try bringing down Ca and boosting kH.