PDA

View Full Version : Yellow tail damesls spawning?

hayes112
08/01/2008, 10:50 AM
Well long story short I have four yellow tail damsels in my 150 gal. I noticed one of them became very protective of a particular area I didnt think much of it becuase its in there nature to be agressive. Well I then noticed after the fish would come out on the attack ( on anything) he would go back and nuzzle a certain spot on the glass which appear to fish eggs on the glass ( they are on glass that is sournded by rock work). I am just wondering if these eggs will hatch or not? Has anyone had damsels spawn in there tank and actually have the fry survive or even hatch? Let me know what you think.

JamesJR
08/01/2008, 11:38 AM
Damsels do occasionally spawn in aquariums but their fry tends to be difficult to raise.

hayes112
08/01/2008, 12:16 PM
Is it hard to feed them or do they tend to get eatn?

frankie33
08/01/2008, 04:05 PM
They will undoubtedly get eaten or sucked into the filtration system in the main display.

billsreef
08/02/2008, 01:39 PM
In terms of leaving them in the tank after they hatch, they'll just be a good meal. If you wanted to try and rear them, you would need to get the larval fish into a seperate small rearing tank and feed them lots of live micro foods starting with S-strain rots or copepod nauplii.

hayes112
08/03/2008, 11:55 AM
The eggs have been there maybe 7 days now. When they hatch out I will scoop as many as I can and put them in a small rearing tank like you mentioned Bill. It would be cool if a few survied atleast.

LisaD
08/03/2008, 01:59 PM
Have you checked out the fish breeding forum on RC? You will need to start right now establishing cultures of live food, like rotifers. I have no experience rearing anything but seahorses, but I imagine the book Clownfish by Joyce Wilkerson could be helpful.