PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Chloride Question

9501gle
08/01/2008, 02:04 PM
So does using a ca rx have any advantages over just using cal cl to supplement cal in a tank.

I am mostly asking about the availabity of cal in the water for sps corals and their ability to convert it.

I have a ca rx but have had it shut down due to high alk. My alk is now stable at 8.5 to 8.8dkh.

I have been able to maintain a cal of 450 without it. I realize that I could tune it to run the tank at 9.5 to 10dkh but does this really give me any advantage over just using cal cl and good water changes.

BTW I change 10% every 5 days.

Aquarist007
08/01/2008, 05:59 PM
9.5 to 10 dkh is a great level for alk

The benifit of the chloride---I use Kent turbo calcium--is that is doesn't affect the alkalinity level

You should be able to maintain those levels using a two part dosing system like b-ionics or Randy's

jansenwrasse
08/01/2008, 06:42 PM
If your tank is capeable of maintaining NSW levels with out the Calcium reactor then there would be no need to use it at all. Keeping the Alk a little higher would not hurt, in fact it may even be beneficial :) It seems wierd that you only need to use Ca and not the alk ??? What salt are you using? are you using tap water?

9501gle
08/01/2008, 08:58 PM
I use coralife salt. It tests out at 10dkh and 500cal.

I'm sure the frequent water changes I do has a huge affect on my levels.

I also supplement with cal chloride.

This all started out as an experiment to lower the alk level to begin using the zeo system. I have since changed my mind and will not at this time begin the zeo system. But what I did find out is when my alk levels began dropping my corals responded very well. My alk levels started out at 12.2 dkh and I slowly dropped them into the 8's. At this point I put the kalk rx back online to maintain this alk level. My target is 9 to 9.5. I'm currently at 8.8. I can put the cal rx back online anytime but am hesitant to do so if there is really no benefit.

Does a kalk rx also raise alk levels.

jansenwrasse
08/01/2008, 09:23 PM
Kalkwassar and Calcium reactors will both increase Alkalinity and Calcium. Kalkwassar will increase pH and a Calcium reactor will most likely decrease pH. Calcium reactors are much more efficient than Kalkwassar (as far as maintaining in high demand systems).

Sorry for the Kalk and Calcium rx I am not sure which system you are using I saw both spoken of. :D

Most who use Calcium Reactors will top off with Kalkwassar to assist in pH levels, as well as Ca and Alk. If you have a low demand system I would start with Kalkwassar and as demand increases then start the Calcium reactor with Kalk top off.

Hope this helps :D

9501gle
08/01/2008, 09:34 PM
I'm only running the kalk rx for all top off now.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is there any difference in the type of cal produced by a cal rx compared to the cal created by adding calcium chloride. Is the cal produced by the cal rx in a more readily absorbable or convertable form than what is produced by using calcium chloride or are they the same.

Thanks so much for your help, I dont understand alot of the chemistry behind all this, just what happens in my tank.

Aquarist007
08/01/2008, 09:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13071989#post13071989 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 9501gle
I'm only running the kalk rx for all top off now.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, is there any difference in the type of cal produced by a cal rx compared to the cal created by adding calcium chloride. Is the cal produced by the cal rx in a more readily absorbable or convertable form than what is produced by using calcium chloride or are they the same.

Thanks so much for your help, I dont understand alot of the chemistry behind all this, just what happens in my tank.

no difference in the calcium produced

jansenwrasse
08/01/2008, 09:36 PM
The Calcium reactor effluent will not raise salinity readings the way that CaCl2 will. Other than that they are utilized in the same manner by the coral. At the end of the day the corals want Ca++ and both means prove that ion. :D

Hope that helps :)

9501gle
08/01/2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks Capt and Jason.

Aquarist007
08/01/2008, 10:02 PM
your welcome--any time glad to help

tmz
08/02/2008, 12:54 AM
Three common ways to supplemnt calium and alkalinity which may answer your question:

Calcium chloride and a buffer such as baking soda in proper proportions. A two part dosing.Calcium chloride contains no alkalinity supplement

Kalk(limewater/calcium hydroxide) which has both calcium and alkalinity in balance.

Calcium carbonate redisolved in a calcium reactor which is a balanced mix of calcium and carbonate for alkalinity.

As you can see only the first(calcium chloride) gives you the opiton of dosing calcium without alkalinity.

Since your alkalinity was "high" and you wan't it lower, leaving it out ofthe dosing for a short while is ok but as your corals calcify the alkalinity will drop faster than the calcium level since there is a lot more calcium than carbonate available. Watch it closely and when it hits a range of balnce you wan't start dosing both calcium and alkalinity in any one of the three forms.

9501gle
08/02/2008, 11:40 AM
Will the kalk rx alone keep up with the alk demands of my tank. Tank is mixed reef, probally med. demand.