PDA

View Full Version : Rid-Ich+

t5Nitro
08/01/2008, 02:06 PM
I purchased Rid-Ich+ and am going to try and see if I can catch the tang in the display to put him in a 10 gallon tote. Has anyone ever used this stuff before? If so, do you need to repeat dosage every day? I have no stores near me that sell any copper treatments, so this'll have to work. It says it contains formalin, malachite green salt, and zinc free chloride. This tote is what I mix my new saltwater in. After this medication has been used in it, can I still use it to mix new saltwater or is the tote ruined?

Thanks.

k.shep
08/02/2008, 11:43 AM
formalin and mallachite green combos are great treatments for ich. however; sometimes the concentrations are light so it may be neccassary to elevate the dose. i have never used that product before so i would give it a try at the recomended dose, if you don't see results in a few days, do a partial water change and increase the dose by 50%.
there is a product called quick cure (formalin & mallachite green)that you can buy at wal-mart. this product is all i will use for crypt and is also affective on amyloodinium. i use it at 1.5 times the normal dose, it works great everytime and doesn't stress the fish as much as copper. as far as your tote goes i think if you rinse it realy well with bleach you should be fine.

mhltcob
08/02/2008, 01:35 PM
I would be very careful about using higher than recommended dose on a tropical saltwater aquarium. At recommended treatment level (15 ppm) it will remove 3 ppm dissolved oxygen.

k.shep
08/02/2008, 05:42 PM
it does deplete the oxogen so just make sure you got good water movment (this is very immportant with most medications). i've been using this dose for years on well over 100 fish. my local saltwater fish store has been using this dose on every fish that has come through for many years as well. i have trippled the dose on stubborn cases of oodinium with no ill effects on the fish, but i don't recomend this unless its life or death. i can't realy speak for the rid ich product, it may have a stronger consentration then the one i use. often times with formalin and mallachite green the paracites will develop a tolerance to it very quickly, so if you don't get the dose right the first time. you will have to seriously increase the dose for it to be affective. its realy the same with most medications.

k.shep
08/02/2008, 05:42 PM
it does deplete the oxogen so just make sure you got good water movment (this is very immportant with most medications). i've been using this dose for years on well over 100 fish. my local saltwater fish store has been using this dose on every fish that has come through for many years as well. i have trippled the dose on stubborn cases of oodinium with no ill effects on the fish, but i don't recomend this unless its life or death. i can't realy speak for the rid ich product, it may have a stronger consentration then the one i use. often times with formalin and mallachite green the paracites will develop a tolerance to it very quickly, so if you don't get the dose right the first time. you will have to seriously increase the dose for it to be affective. its realy the same with most medications.

billsreef
08/02/2008, 07:56 PM
Rid Ich is an effective combination of malachite green and formalin. Follow the package label for dosing, do not overdose as it's a great way to pickle your fish. Quick Cure is similar but there are some differences in their formulation. Neither one is something that parasites will develop a resistance to, they either succumb to it or already are resistant to it ;) I'm not sure where the idea that malachite green and formalin are less stressful than copper came from, but it's in error any way. All those treatments come under the heading of chemotherapy and are all stressful to a degree.