PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Lionfish

sk8baby101
08/01/2008, 08:28 PM
I just wanted to get people's opinion... I just got a 100 gal aquarium for my birthday. I also have a 30 gal FO with live rock and live sand tank thats been running for a year. Now I've always wanted a Volitans lionfish but knowing that they can grow so large and there bodies get as wide as a loaf of bread my 100 gallon tank is still too small for a volitans... right? What do you guys think? I don't think I'm going to get a Volitans because I think my 100 gal. is still too small for him but what if I were to get a dwarf zebra lionfish or any of the dwarfs that only reach a max. of 8 inches. How many dwarfs could I put in my 100 gal? Probably three at the most right? My 100 gal. will only contain live rock, live sand, and, of course, the V. lionfish or a few dwarf lionfish. I don't plan to put any other fish in their because I want a lionfish only aquarium.

prime311
08/02/2008, 01:11 AM
I think a 100 gallon would be fine for a single Volitan or several dwarfs. They don't require a lot of swimming room.

sk8baby101
08/02/2008, 09:25 AM
I thought so too :) I'm deciding whether I want several Dwarfs or just one big Volitan... Thankyou prime311. Im still open to other's opinions also so please feel free to give your opinion. :)

PuffersKick
08/02/2008, 02:25 PM
I don't think you would have a problem with a Volitan in 100 gallon tank. As the previous poster mentioned, they don't need alot of swimming room like a Tang does.

And you should have no problems getting both a Volitan and a couple Dwarf Fuzzy lions. They would be fine together.

fisher1234
08/02/2008, 10:06 PM
Yea 100 gallon is plenty big enough for a Volitan, you could even do a couple other large lions like a Antenneta, Radiata or Russels lion fish. But you will be fine 100 gallons is pelnty of spave for Lions

sk8baby101
08/02/2008, 10:26 PM
Thankyou this is looking up I think I will get a volitans but I'm gona wait and see what a few more ppl post but thankyou PuffersKick and fisher1234 for you posts

LisaD
08/03/2008, 09:26 AM
I have a 210, and with the stocking I have on it now, don't feel I have room for a volitan. What would you keep with it?

I think if you can find it, get a Russell's as they look similar and stay a bit smaller. You are going to have plenty of bioload from any lionfish you get.

If you wanted several dwarf lions (as many as three) I would NOT add a larger lion, due to bioload issues. Also, if the large lion grows faster than the small ones, they could end up as meals.

Personally, I think dwarf zebras are on the delicate side, and would choose another lionfish.

sk8baby101
08/03/2008, 02:57 PM
Thats cool you have a 210 If I could afford one I'd get one but seeing I got this 100 g. tank for my birthday it's what I have to work with and I love it anyway. My mommy bought it for me:) It's getting installed in my room Wed. and is a big upgrade from my 30 gal. pus I'm only 18. One day I wish to have a 1,000 gal tank. My neighbors have one and it's gorgeous! But it cost them around $40,000 dollars to get it to where it is today and it's just amazing! anyway I plan to keep eiather one big volitans alone with, of course, live rock and substrate being sand or just keep 3 dwarfs which max to about 8 inches. I wouldn't put them together... i know better than that. I want my lionfish to be happy and healthy and not have to live in fear. It's eiather one or the other. I think I'm leaning towards getting three dwarfs because I'd feel bad for putting a Volians in there because they get so big! I think what I'll do is get a bumble bee dwarf, a zebra dwarf, and a fuzzy dwarf just to show the variety of Dwarf lionfish out there to choose from. So when people come to visit my home they'll be going "ooo and aww" not only at my parents home and my room but my aquarium too! but I'll also be able to educate them on the different varieties of dwarf species as well. I'm still doing research as to whether or not I can put these guys together. I will keep lionfish that are somewhat the same size so one doesn't intimidate the others or eat them for that matter. From what I've researched and read, so far, dwarf zebra lionfish are hardy as well as the fuzzy dwarf. The ony issue ppl seem to have with their zebra lionfish is weaning them from live food to unalive food. It's alot harder to find info on the bumblebee lionfish but my family personally knows a aquarist who deals with bumblebee and Zebra's so that a relief... I'll just get hands on training while my tank is cycling which could take AWHILE. But thankyou for the bioload reminder but I'm sure the sump we've purchased should work fine on 3 dwarf lionfish and if not were getting our money back because it was quite pricey and is one of the brands our neighbors used when they first started in this hobby. FYI this is a LIONFISH ONLY aquarium as I previously mentioned and yes I do realize they rest alot on rocks and don't swim alot and will give my aquarium an empty look but I've always wanted a lionfish. Thankyou for the info. though:)

LisaD
08/03/2008, 04:13 PM
I'm really happy to have a 210, but it's already looking small! :) You're so lucky to have a 100. I didn't have a tank bigger than a 55 until I was around 30! My first "big" tank was a 125, and it was great.

Volitans are really cool lions, and quite hardy. A 100 gallon tank may be a little small for one, but there's nothing quite like a volitan. If you want a large majestic lion that's a little smaller, I'd still recommend you look into the Russell's. As long as it's the only fish in the tank, maybe with a smaller eel, like a snowflake, I think you will be okay.

With two or three dwarf lions you'll be able to keep a few more lion-compatible fish, if you want them.

A lot will also depend on your filtration capacity and maintenance routine. It's nice that you have neighbors with lots of experience with marine fish keeping and equipment, as well as knowing an aquarist that works with lionfish. I'm sure your tank will be beautiful.

What is a bumblebee lionfish? Also, on the zebra lionfish, IMO, they aren't as hardy, but it may be that newly collected specimens are more delicate because of how they have been handled.

It sounds like you have done some great resarch and have some experience. It's a beginner's book, but New Marine Aquarium by Mike Paletta has some great info. I've kept marine tanks for over 30 years, and I still like to use it as a reference on FOWLR tanks. You may have already found it, but wetwebmedia is great for species research, and the stickied link to the Lionfish care sheet at the top of this forum, by Frank Marini, is great reading.

sk8baby101
08/03/2008, 07:54 PM
I don't know I'm getting so many different opinions... I've been told 100 gal. is fine and that a guy keeps his Volitans in 100 gal. but it comes down to one thing... Do I want one big Volitans in a 100 gal. or do I want a few dwarfs in a 100 gal. I'm stilll not sure yet. Thanks! I'm still researching though. I want all my lionfish to be happy and healthy once I get them. Yes I've heard of wetwebmedia but thankyou for bringing the site to my attention. I really don't use that site too much at all but I will start using it to research the different types of lionfish too. I will also look into the Russels lionfish. Gosh there are so many different types its amazing. I know the site by Frank Marini too! thats how i stumbled upon this forum. I will check into New Marine Aquarium by Mike Paletta also. Thankyou for the references. If you know of any more off hand please tell me. I need all the info I can get before I acquire any type of lionfish. I found the Bumble Bee lion at www.aquacon.com. It's a fish seller and from what I've been told at Fish Doctors(Aquatics Store) it is somewhat like a fuzzy dwarf but not... because I had the same question when I stumbled upon the site www.aquacon.com. But at Fish Doctors they get lionfish classified as Fuzzy dwarf, Bumble Bee Dwarf, Zebra Dwarf and of course your Volitans and Russels. But you can't really trust if the person working at the fish store really knows the difference between the types of lionfish. Like for example I've gone in looking for dwarf zebra lionfish and the employee's tell me "oh yea, we have dwarf zebra's" and I go in there and they end up pointing out a fuzzy dwarf or something way off what I was asking for. I for sure don't know too much about the many kinds of lionfish but sometimes I think I know more than some of the employee's... I'm sure you've had that experience or maybe not. Maybe you have a legitimate aquatics store you buy your fish from. I wish I knew of one... :/ Anyway I don't know if my tank will be beautiful... I'm sure yours is though! I dunno I really find the Zebra and Mombass Dwarfs beautiful little lionfish and the Volitans... I mean they are all beautiful but those species(I guess they'd be considered different species but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong cuz I dont want to sound dumb) really catch my eye. :rolleyes: You should post pics of your tank. I would love to put up pics of mine as soon as it's all done or at least show the progression of it. I'm soooooo proud of it:D