PDA

View Full Version : leather and mushrooms to toxic for sps ?

bluegrizzlies1
08/02/2008, 09:28 AM
I have read leather are toxic and wage war with other coral but do mushrooms do the same thing ?

My daughter says she has read that they are toxic to sps she has a monti cap and it was green and now she says it is turning brown and thinks it is her leather and shrooms causing it ?

I think it could be the lighting it is a curent 24 wat per gallon HO t50s for a 26 gallon bow front.

Any help would be great thanks

DetectiveTofu
08/02/2008, 09:50 AM
I don't understand what kind of lighting you have - 24w HO T-5's on a 26 bow?
I personally don't think the leather would cause any problem unless you started chopping it like crazy in your tank. Also, the use of carbon, and regular water changes helps to minimize any effects due to the leather. The mushrooms are not toxic, though if they are too close to the montipora they can send out mesenterial filaments to attack it. But in this case the montipora would be dying, not browning. IMO, the browning is due to lack of lighting - many corals will brown out when given less than sufficient light. Trying moving the montipora way to the top of the tank as close as you can to the light, or upgrade the lighting.

bluegrizzlies1
08/02/2008, 10:00 AM
yes the lighting is made by current it is 24 watts ho t50

downhillbiker
08/02/2008, 11:16 AM
yes there is a certain amount of chemical warfare in the tank. in a smaller tank like that it makes a bigger difference, but i think it can be managed. as stated above, carbon greatly helps in this, as do regular water changes.

i think your problem is actually in the lighting. i dont think that a 24w t-5 is enough for SPS. t-5 is enough, but i dont know if you have enough power with only 24w. i would move the coral higher up in the tank, and let it take its course. also, if you got the coral from someone with more light, it may be going through light shock. once it is done with that it may color up again.