PDA

View Full Version : 29 gal bio cube

kingbacon
08/02/2008, 10:35 AM
what to do with the filtration im adding the maxi 900 and going to use the aragantic sand but i need some info on the filtration and lets keep it simple use the bioballs or not any use filter floss i have no idea which would be best

any info would be great

thanks mike

Reefer07
08/02/2008, 10:39 AM
Filter floss is good. I don't think bio-balls are so good as they will store the nitrates. Are you doing a fish only or a reef tank?

kingbacon
08/02/2008, 10:47 AM
reef with a few fish looking to run an open top if that means any thing

Reefer07
08/02/2008, 01:05 PM
Open top is cool but just make sure you do your research on your fish in case they are jumpers. Also, with an open top you will probably experience more evaporation which I think is a pain. I am assuming with a small tank your not going to set up an auto-top off system etc. etc.
I personally don't like running an open top because even my clown jumped out once. If you choose not to run an open top I will add that one of the best things you can do is keep the top as clean as possibly, I.E. if you go glass top keep it as clean as you can. Light penetration is a big factor in how much light your corals are actually receiving. Depending on how dirty your cover is, it can definitely deter the light so not as much is penetrating into your tank. Surface movement and such all come into play as well.

Were you planning on upgrading the lights so you could run an open top?

kingbacon
08/02/2008, 02:01 PM
i am going to have 2 65 watt power compacts and also a heater so temp should be fine right but the main reason for the post is what to use in the filter

LulusMoogle
08/03/2008, 03:28 PM
You know the middle chamber in back that is used for the bioballs? Well, I'm saying "screw the bioballs!" I'm adding LR rubble instead. Better filtration. :)