PDA

View Full Version : Rapid fin fluttering in newly added Fairy Wrasse... OK, or?

Newreeflady
08/02/2008, 11:49 AM
I just added a blue-sided male fairy, less than 3" to my 36g reef. I acclimated by drip, then temperature acclimated before adding him in (overall about an hour.) He disappeared, but then after turning the lights on he came out and is now up at the top seeming a little nervous. My clowns looked a little too interested so I fed them, and now they aren't bothering him.

He moves his fins very fast for a fish.. is this a problem, or does anyone know if this is normal for this type of fish? Doesn't appear to be dying or anything... I'm just a worry wort.

What do you think?

-A

wrasseguy2
08/02/2008, 02:25 PM
he might be somewhat stressed which fairys go through..but is it all of his fins doing this or are you seeing his soft rayed ( the back part of the dorsal fin) part of his dorsal fluttering fast???..that is normal for that part of the dorsal to do that..also is he eating?

snorvich
08/02/2008, 02:26 PM
What else is in this tank? Did you quarantine this fish? For how long?

Newreeflady
08/02/2008, 02:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13075479#post13075479 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wrasseguy2
he might be somewhat stressed which fairys go through..but is it all of his fins doing this or are you seeing his soft rayed ( the back part of the dorsal fin) part of his dorsal fluttering fast???..that is normal for that part of the dorsal to do that..also is he eating?

Well, after receiving some torment from the clowns I decided to shut the lights down and leave just the actinics on. He started to nap, but the clowns interrupted him. Now he has decided to be brave and is swimming down with the clowns. I think things are going to be OK!

It seemed to be mostly the little stabilizer fins on the side (sorry, my fish anatomy skills are nil:p ) It must be normal because these are still going a million miles an hour, hah!

No, did not QT here, but my source, Finnyas QT'd for almost a week to be sure he was fine and eating well. He already ate today, too. I'll keep my eye out. I thought of QTing myself, but since it isn't a tang or anything I thought perhaps it'd be OK to go ahead and toss him in since they QT'd. Hope that was the right decision.

:)
-A

snorvich
08/02/2008, 06:57 PM
Are the clowns sexually differentiated and breeding?

nikon187
08/02/2008, 07:32 PM
wrasses in general swim mainly with their pectoral fins ( side fins) and use their tails for quick bursts of speed. I think he is swimming fine

Newreeflady
08/02/2008, 08:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13076700#post13076700 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
Are the clowns sexually differentiated and breeding?

They are paired, and they have had some "dry runs."

-A

Newreeflady
08/02/2008, 08:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13076917#post13076917 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nikon187
wrasses in general swim mainly with their pectoral fins ( side fins) and use their tails for quick bursts of speed. I think he is swimming fine

super! :)

snorvich
08/03/2008, 06:43 AM
Once clowns are paired and starting to breed, they expand their territory and become much more intolerant of other fish within that territory. You may be having that problem.

Newreeflady
08/03/2008, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I'd believe that. I guess I though there was enough room, but perhaps they have decided that the entire 36g is just too small for another fish.

I'll definitely update with observations. Thanks, all!
-A

Newreeflady
08/03/2008, 11:42 AM
Update:

Everyone is doing great... this fish is now tolerated well by the clowns and is swimming all over the tank and eating like a champ. YAY!!!

-A

snorvich
08/03/2008, 04:43 PM
Congrats! Clowns will for certain take over a 24 g tank so I think you must be just above the threshold.

Newreeflady
08/03/2008, 05:07 PM
Tank is 36g. Not much larger, but still not a 24g;)

Thanks, I'm really happy about the new addition. Finally a swimmer! :)

-A

LargeAngels
08/04/2008, 07:15 AM
Just keep a close eye out for disease. 1 week in QT isn't long enough.

Newreeflady
08/04/2008, 02:30 PM
Are there any diseases that the fairys are particularly prone to? Should I just be looking for spots?

He's still swimming and eating well today:)

thx!
Angela