PDA

View Full Version : need return pump help

jadeguppy
08/02/2008, 03:22 PM
I switched out my sump for a new ont today. It is much deeper than the other one and is causing less head pressure on my Mag 5. However, that has caused the tank to overflow. I normally run two tanks off of this sump. Both are 40g long tanks. Since I have not tied the second one in yet, I am wondering if it will be a good idea to not use a second return pump and run both off this pump. The line to the second tank would be twice as long and around a corner. Can I run both tanks off the one pump, or will the second tank not get water due to the difference in head pressure?

Playa-1
08/02/2008, 03:47 PM
It's hard to tell without knowing how you have it plumbed, but I would suggest that you run separate return pumps and use ball valves between the pumps and the display tanks to control the volume.

jadeguppy
08/02/2008, 03:55 PM
That is what I have done in the past, minus the ball valve. What if I put a ball valve on the return line with less pressure to control how much goes to each tank?

discocarp
08/02/2008, 06:35 PM
That's fine as the pump can produce enough flow for your liking in both tanks. Both tanks drain independently to a shared sump, right?

jadeguppy
08/02/2008, 06:51 PM
Correct.

Also, it is a mag 7, not a 5. My mistake. The original tank drain also splits to drain into the fuge side of the sump. However, that drain has a ball valve on it to keep the flow slow.

discocarp
08/02/2008, 07:07 PM
None of that sounds like a problem. If the mag 7 can give you enough flow for your liking then that setup should be fine.