PDA

View Full Version : Chlorodesmis hildebrandtii take nitrates?

BengBear
08/02/2008, 06:02 PM
how does chlorodesmis hildebrandtii looks like and its nitrates take up rate.:confused:

piercho
08/02/2008, 11:22 PM
Plant is filamented, and filaments are visible to the naked eye. At a microscopic level, the filaments LACK COMPLETE CELLULAR CROSSWALLS, with CONSTRICTIONS PRESENT ABOVE BRANCH DIVISIONS THROUGHOUT.
Chlorodesmis hildebrandtii (http://www.seaweedafrica.org/search/species/detail/?species_id=4559)
http://www.seaweedafrica.org/search/images/view/?img_id=37477
Off the to of my head, don't know any trials run analyzing uptake rates in Chlorodesmis.

BengBear
08/03/2008, 12:08 AM
what living condition best suit chlorodesmis hildebrandtii?

Is it asexual (hope spelling is correct) like cauperla.

BengBear
08/09/2008, 11:55 PM
Wanted to buy some to add to the red gracilaria and cheato in the sump tank.

Any advise whether I should proceed and any precautions such as this stuff may turn sexual like caulepa?

Does it require bright light? some branches of red gracilaria turn orange then translucent and drop off. So, I move it away from the strong pure white light and those slightly shaded parts are better off. They are less orange color.

johnmaloney
08/11/2008, 02:55 PM
strong light will cause the chloraphyll in red macroalgae to overtake the red pigments, that is the cause of the discoloration. reduce the light and the color comes back. not such a problem with green algae.

johnmaloney
08/11/2008, 02:55 PM
strong light will cause the chloraphyll in red macroalgae to overtake the red pigments, that is the cause of the discoloration. reduce the light and the color comes back. not such a problem with green algae.

BengBear
08/12/2008, 04:03 AM
what about other water parameter, kh, cal, mag...
Thanks

BengBear
08/14/2008, 06:55 AM
Hi John,
I think according to Richfield ratio; Nitrates:Phosphate @ 16:1, my tank managed to bridge it. Test result: less than 20ppm Nitrates:between .25 to .5. ph between 8 to 8.2.

I think the gracilaria is affected by low phosphate. Please review and any suggestion.

piercho
08/20/2008, 10:12 AM
Tissue analysis of N:P ratio in macroalgae are often higher than 16:1. 30:1 not unusual, some Caulerpas as high as 200:1. I don't think that this means those algae must have high N:P to grow, and some algae will continue to absorb nitrate if it is available even when they can't use it immediately - I think that is called "luxury" uptake of nitrate.

Check out some of the articles in the top "stickied" threads. Different macroalgae react differently to varying availability of PO4. Some algae actually show decreased growth when PO4 is increased. Also be aware that phosphate is floating around in organic compounds in the water that you don't measure when you measure PO4, and some algae may be able to use that phosphate.

My personal opinion is that the N:P ratio is usually lower in reef tanks than in nature, and that P is rarely if ever the limiting nutrient for macroalgae in reef tanks. P probably is limiting for some troublesome specie of mat-forming cyanobacteria that show up in reef tanks, though.

BengBear
08/20/2008, 06:14 PM
Hi,
Thanx for the reply. I think there is some copper trace in the water. These were brought in by Dr Bassler pellets feed, which contain some small traces of copper. By coincidence, I introduced Robert Boyle carbon some few days ago and the discoloration is slowing down and the cheato seems to be growing.

Meanwhile I am watching the situation.

Question:
I read somewhere that copper does affect macroalgae and anemones. Am I right, and is there anymore information about this issue?