PDA

View Full Version : boiling water?

ju66alo6
08/02/2008, 06:12 PM
I am in the market for a ro/di and the guy at the LFS told me boiling water does the same as a ro/di is this true or is he telling a fat one?:confused:

If so why not save my 200$ and just boil my water before i add it........

reefnetworth
08/02/2008, 06:20 PM
that is an inaccurate and rediculous statement. i needed a good laugh today! :lol: thanx!

goto: Reef Chemistry Forum and ask there about the truth in boiling compared to RO/DI. :rolleyes:

BTW, i would find another LFS or at least a different salesperson...

ju66alo6
08/02/2008, 06:26 PM
Ok. Plus this is not the usual pet store i go to i was shopping around trin to find a cheaper RO/DI....

atvdave
08/02/2008, 06:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13076502#post13076502 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnetworth

BTW, i would find another LFS or at least a different salesperson...

Amen ... go somewhere els.

snorvich
08/02/2008, 06:51 PM
Well the LFS guy was giving you a load. There is no relationship to boiling and water purity. I am not sure you want to get the cheapest RO/DI system; your water must have a TDS of zero if you want to avoid other problems down the road.

ju66alo6
08/02/2008, 06:56 PM
Once again you guys come the rescue!!! lol

kau_cinta_ku
08/02/2008, 07:08 PM
again cheapest is not always best. look around spending 150.00+ on a good quality rodi unit.

atvdave
08/02/2008, 07:13 PM
Best value for the buck, IMO.

BFS-161 Premium Series 75 gpd RO/DI System

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showproducts.asp?Category=168&Sub=166

scrmbld33
08/02/2008, 08:19 PM
www.melevsreef.com has a good ro/di

tbar
08/02/2008, 08:31 PM
Distilled water is basically boiled water and very good quality for a reef tank. You must have a distiller to to this. The amount of electricity needed to operate one makes them not very cost effective compared to a Ro/Di unit.

reefergeorge
08/02/2008, 08:31 PM
I like the ocean wave +. All the above systems all use the same dow filmtec ro membrane. So they are all good filters.
http://www.thefilterguys.biz/ro_di_systems.htm

IslandCrow
08/02/2008, 08:38 PM
Distilled water is basically boiled water and very good quality for a reef tank. You must have a distiller to to this.

I don't think it's really what you meant to say, but just to clarify, boiled water is not the same thing as distilled water. Distillation takes the pure water vapor from boiled water and condenses it in a separate vessel, leaving impurities behind in the original container. If you just boil water, anything that was there in the beginning is still there, minus some H2O that has evaporated. We'll sometimes boil water to "purify" it not to remove anything, but to kill harmful bacteria or viruses. That's already going to be taken care of in any tap water in the U.S.

tbar
08/02/2008, 09:04 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant to say, actually that is what I was thinking the LFS person was meaning to say to the original poster.

twoodall
08/03/2008, 07:14 PM
Wow, it almost pays to just walk in the LFS and say nothing observe the fish you want, tell them to bag it, grab anything else you know you need from you research here and run like the wind!

It amazes me what people will say in any line of business that is just baseless and ignorant!

I tell my employees if they don't have an answer pick up the phone and call someone who does!

Yeah boil you water thats the ticket? LOL

Thanks for the Sunday evening humor!:rollface:

lloydkeller
08/04/2008, 07:20 PM
he needs to find a new job perhaps petsmart

RondaGP
08/04/2008, 07:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13082137#post13082137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by twoodall
Wow, it almost pays to just walk in the LFS and say nothing observe the fish you want, tell them to bag it, grab anything else you know you need from you research here and run like the wind!

That's exactly what I do. It sound elitist but I rarely talk at all anymore in stores. Over time, and if I go there often, some prove to me they are worth having conversations with but I never ask them about products or livestock in the store and certianly not advice on anything. And if I see something that interests me, I write info down and then go home and look it up.

This is actually a frustrating subject for me because my husband does talk to them... a lot. And this always leads to him doubting me and my research, thinking how could I have more knowledge on something I may not have experience in than a fish store that does this everyday for a living. He thinks I'm rude if I ignore them and thinks I'm rude if I engage in the conversation because I usually disagree with what they are telling him my reef needs.
Yeah, touchy subject lately.

ihavtats29
08/04/2008, 08:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13088983#post13088983 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lloydkeller
he needs to find a new job perhaps petsmart

lol sounds more like petco :lol:

calli
08/04/2008, 08:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13089238#post13089238 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RondaGP
That's exactly what I do. It sound elitist but I rarely talk at all anymore in stores. Over time, and if I go there often, some prove to me they are worth having conversations with but I never ask them about products or livestock in the store and certianly not advice on anything. And if I see something that interests me, I write info down and then go home and look it up.

This is actually a frustrating subject for me because my husband does talk to them... a lot. And this always leads to him doubting me and my research, thinking how could I have more knowledge on something I may not have experience in than a fish store that does this everyday for a living. He thinks I'm rude if I ignore them and thinks I'm rude if I engage in the conversation because I usually disagree with what they are telling him my reef needs.
Yeah, touchy subject lately.

What about trying "HEY LOOK HERE 19 DIFFERENT WEBSITES SAY THIS" (not what the lfs guy said)

maybe just have to show him how to research....

RondaGP
08/05/2008, 11:33 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13089651#post13089651 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by calli
What about trying "HEY LOOK HERE 19 DIFFERENT WEBSITES SAY THIS" (not what the lfs guy said)

maybe just have to show him how to research....
Yeah, I've gotten better at bookmarking books and web pages to show him on the important stuff so he doesn't think my knowledge comes from "some guy on the internet said to do this..." which is what he thought I sounded like. Now that I know this I'm careful with how I word things.

I'm also trying to more involved in the labor of the maintenance (cleaning, top offs, etc.) instead of just telling him how to do everything. With the first upgrade from a FO to our reef 4 years ago and our recent move, we had to empty our tank which meant he had to do most of the hard labor involved and I think it was frustrating for him that I didn't contribute more than "research".

(And thanks to ju66alo6 for posting because I'm also in the market for a RO system and this thread has been helpful to me let alone informing others how dangerous it is to listen or trust the words from LFS clerks).

Julian H
08/11/2008, 02:31 PM
I talk to the LFS guys and then throw it in their face when they lie about their livestock. That is if its not an LFS that I frequent.

abulgin
08/11/2008, 02:57 PM
One qualification to the above--if you mix in the spice packet that comes with Ramen noodles, you WILL have water that is identical to RO/DI water, with the added benefit that it is also tasty.