PDA

View Full Version : What is your FAVORITE reef or little fishy Book...

Rosterc
08/03/2008, 07:46 AM
I am in the moood to do some serious reading, but thought it would be nice to read some of the clasics... What books got you all started in the hobby or have helped you out the most... What book do I need in the home library... besides one fish, two fish, blue fish... I know that one was important... Leets get a good list started...

SWaquariast
08/03/2008, 08:01 AM
I like "The Nano Reef Handbook" by: Christopher R. Brightwell. It is more towards the nano reefs 20g and below but some of my freinds used it to set up there larger reefs.

SWaquariast
08/03/2008, 08:02 AM
I would also look for Micheal Scott's "Reef Fishes vol:1"

Robb in Austin
08/03/2008, 09:01 AM
New Marine Aquarium by Paletta and Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner for good basic books.

I also like Pocket expert guides for Marine Invertabrets by Shimek, Reef Aquarium Fishes by Scott, Aquarium Corals by Borneman.

I think all of those should be in every SW aquarists library.

Nereaga
08/03/2008, 10:20 AM
+1 on the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner

Playa-1
08/03/2008, 01:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13079444#post13079444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nereaga
+1 on the Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner

+2

Here's a good link to some excellent reading material. If you were going to read just one then I would pick up a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist"

Good Read (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/tips/index.php)

Rosterc
08/03/2008, 09:17 PM
Well that article hit the nail on the head... I will deff be checking out these books... While the internet is fast and easy.. I feel the real tried and true info comes from published works...

mdrc
08/03/2008, 09:22 PM
a book called reef secrets it has a good section on how to get the perfect flow pattern"

Tang Salad
08/03/2008, 09:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13080284#post13080284 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Playa-1
+2

Here's a good link to some excellent reading material. If you were going to read just one then I would pick up a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist"

Good Read (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/tips/index.php)
Good link. This one (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1288235) is a short thread with mention of some more advanced books for those interested.

o.c.d.
08/03/2008, 09:45 PM
The Reef Aquarium, Vol 1,2.and esp 3.Sprung & Delbeek Also the Modern Coral Reef aquarium Vol 1,2,3,4 Fossa & Nilsen filled with info. Aquarium Corals by Borneman is a must have. I wouldn't say the first two sets of book are beginner but very good are you looking for advanced books ?

Rosterc
08/05/2008, 08:26 PM
just looking for anyting interesting... beg to adv. Im lovin it...

wayne in norway
08/06/2008, 01:57 AM
You're likely beyond Palettas new marine aquarium. but I'll +1 for Fenner,'s CMA and Fenner and Calfo Reef Inverts is good. Fossa and Nilsson is good, but getting on, and has been superceded by Sprung and Delbeek vol3, technical bible. The few books by Tulloch are interesting, and a book on fish breeding by Matt Wittenrich (sic?) is a good read, and one of the best new books I've seen. I haven't seen Jay Hemdals book, but believe it also to be worth looking at.

There isn't a lot in the Nano book by Brightwell referred to above that's very novel except the pictures, and actually there are a few books doing the rounds that are pretty ghastly. PM me for those. Reef Secrets is average, Palettas Ultimate Marine Aquaria is also pretty average.