PDA

View Full Version : Email alarm

tinnghe
08/03/2008, 09:07 AM
how do i setup email alarm? do i have to setup in my code to list the outlet? does anyone have an exmaple of what their looks like?

tinnghe
08/03/2008, 09:14 AM
what do i put in for the timer name?
If Time > 00:00 Then ALM OFF \\ Error: Timer name not found
If Temp > 82.0 Then ALM ON \\ Error: Timer name not found

this is what i have so far, but i have error, so can someone shed the light?

ZippyBoy
08/03/2008, 09:44 AM
first you need a statement like this in the timer names:

ALM&-A9

Then you need to make sure the ALM default is set to off in the "program", like this:

If Time > 00:00 Then ALM OFF

then you need to set the parameters that turn the alarm on, like this:
If Temp < 75.0 Then ALM ON
If Temp > 85.0 Then ALM ON

then, back to "Config", then "Options" tab

make sure your alarm is called: ALM (or whatever you called the alarm in the program)

then you have to go to thew "email setup" tab in the options menus and set your email parameters.

mohawk
08/03/2008, 06:01 PM
Do I need to set a VALID channel id to the timer "ALM"? If I just want to send an email, do I have to waste one outlet for this?

ZippyBoy
08/03/2008, 08:55 PM
Mohawk,

No, if fact you want the ALM switch set to a null value. In my case I used A9. I set my DC8's up as A1-A8 and B1-B8.

kenargo
08/04/2008, 10:22 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13082898#post13082898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ZippyBoy
Mohawk,

No, if fact you want the ALM switch set to a null value. In my case I used A9. I set my DC8's up as A1-A8 and B1-B8.

I am not sure what you mean by 'NULL value" but if you are mean that the timer doesn't need to be a real value you are correct; no need to waste a DC8 outlet for an alarm timer unless you are also going to turn on some buzzer or light. I tend to use an address way out of the way like P01 for alarm and dummy timers, but that is me.

tinnghe
08/04/2008, 06:40 PM
i am having an issue to set it up with my router, how do i setup SMTP for this? i have port 25 open, but it ask for n address as in
192.168.1.50 port 80 set enable
address? port 25 set enable

tinnghe
08/04/2008, 06:41 PM
i have a linksys btw

kenargo
08/04/2008, 07:44 PM
You do not need to make any changes to your LinkSys router for email to work; outbound traffic in most routers is not limited, only inbound traffic.

Email setup is done 100% using the AC3 buttons. Once you have everything configured you can try the "test email". If that doesn't work, and you have the ability to connect to the AC3 using telnet you can enter the following via telnet client and you will get a verbose log of the email attempt:

cons
1 maild
mail

Can you be more specific about the issue you are having?

mohawk
08/04/2008, 07:58 PM
As kenargo said, by default this router doesn't block outbound traffic. I was able to setup it up using a dummy channel id as suggested.

Follow the steps below to setup the pager functionality of AquaNotes (not available in AquaNotes Lite).

1. Open the Config->Modify Aqua Program window. Modify the AquaController's program so that the alarm timer name will be activated on the desired monitored conditions. A typical alarm program would be something like this:

If Time > 00:00 Then ALM OFF ;default off condition
If Temp < 74.0 Then ALM ON ;temp too low
If Temp > 84.0 Then ALM ON ;temp too high
If ORP < 325 Then ALM ON ;ORP too low
If ORP > 450 Then ALM ON ;ORP too high
If pH < 7.90 Then ALM ON ;pH too low
If pH > 8.50 Then ALM ON ;pH too high

Refer to Modifying the AquaController's Program section for more help.

2. Change the Alarm Name field to the alarm timer name in the AquaController that will signal an email alarm. The default value of ALM should be fine unless it was changed in step 1.

3. On the Email Setup tab of the config->options window check the global enable button. Set the SMTP Server to the hostname or IP address of your outgoing email server. Refer to your ISP configuration documentation for the hostname or IP address.

4. Change the Recipient Email Address to the email address where the alarm email should be sent.

5. Change the Sender Email Address, to the desired values.

6. Adjust the Re Email Delay to how often you would like to receive emails if the alarm condition persists.

7. Open the Database->Tank Database window. On the config tab of each of the tanks you wish to receive page, enable the Enable Email checkbox (in the Alarms section). If you wish to receive a condensed version of the email also enable the Compact Format checkbox.

good luck!

kenargo
08/04/2008, 10:26 PM
The directions mohawk included is to have AquaNotes send emails. If you want the AC3 to send them directly then setup is performed using the "Setup->Net Setup->Email Setup" on the controller itself.

I guess you didn't mention which unit you have so I assumed the AC3 (or AC3 pro).

tinnghe
08/05/2008, 11:15 AM
i have the AC3, beside changing the address which said "to" do i leave everything alone with the name of the smtp server? i will try the above suggestion this week thx

tinnghe
08/05/2008, 11:18 AM
i only have aquanote lite so i guess i have to do it the way ken say

kenargo
08/05/2008, 11:47 AM
IMO it's better using the AC3. If you where to use AquaNotes you would need the full version AND you would need to have it running all the time.

When you configure the AC3 set the to, from, smtp, account information, etc to whatever is needed by your email server and run a test email. If it doesn't work I included information above to use telnet and get an email log which will tell you what caused the failure.

mohawk
08/05/2008, 01:12 PM
100% agree on using AC3. For some reason, I though tinnghe was using AquaNotes.

roktsintst
08/06/2008, 01:12 PM
I am having trouble with this also.
What do i set my to,from stmp to? i use hotmail.
i have my to as my email address, from as my ac3 IP, and stmp as my open port in my modem???

clp
08/06/2008, 04:58 PM
The from and to email addresses must be valid or some filters may drop the email. For the smtp server use to one provided by your ISP. Your ISP's tech support pages should list the name of their smtp server. Yes, your modem must allow out going data on the smtp port, but most modems don't block out going data so there usually won't be anything to setup here.

Curt

roktsintst
08/06/2008, 06:58 PM
im sorry im still not getting it. ive got the "to" email. but who is "sending" the email? is it an email address or an ip?

kenargo
08/06/2008, 10:01 PM
The "TO" address is where you want the email to be sent, the "From" email is who your smtp server expects mail to come from. Some servers expect a valid "from" address and that address is the same as the email account. For example, my 'From' address is my email address, which coincidentally is also the value I use in the 'To' address but if I don't do it this way my email server (Verizon) rejects the email send request.

Does that help?

mohawk
08/06/2008, 10:12 PM
If you can't get the mail server info from your ISP you may try www.gawab.com. They provide free email service including SMTP/POP.

roktsintst
08/10/2008, 04:46 PM
well i got my smtp from my isp and my from and to are set to my email from my isp but i still am not getting the test email. any suggestions?