PDA

View Full Version : more low calcium questions

DNickell
08/03/2008, 05:17 PM
I just ran tests for everything I have the test kits for at this time.

Amonia, nitrite and nitrate are all at 0. The pH is 8.2. The Alkalinity is 2.5. And my calcium remains low at 360.

These numbers have remained constant for some time now. I have been doing 15 gallon water changes in this 120 gallon tank every week for the past two months and I added a phosphate reactor about a month ago (I'm trying to starve out the last remnants of a cyano bloom). I'm assuming the live rock and the deep sand bed/plenum are taking care of the nitrates, so I am assuming phosphate is my problem.

Along with a light fish load and assorted inverts, I have some mushrooms, an open brain, pagoda (cup) coral, candy cane, zoanthids and a clam. All seem to be doing well, and I have seen some additional polyp extension in the pagoda since adding the phosphate reactor.

I have been adding 30 ml of BIonic two part calcium & buffer daily.

I don't have a test kit for phosphate as I haven't been able to find one locally and haven't been sure which kind to order (suggestions?).

My calcium test kit is getting old, so that could be a factor as well.

So, assuming my phosphates are still high, would this cause the calcium to run low? Would an aging test kit cause a low calcium reading?

Can I increase the calcium level by increasing the amount of BIonic dosage?

I know pH will vary a bit depending on the time of day the test is run. Will calcium--or any other test--also be affected by when the test is taken relative to the photo period?

Thanks, in advance, for any guidance you can give me on this.

jansenwrasse
08/03/2008, 08:08 PM
Depending on system demand (corallin algae, SPS, etc) you may just need to dose more b-ionic. If you are unable to get the levels up you may be deficient in Magnesium.

Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems
http://web.archive.org/web/20021127040526/http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Hope this helps :)

9501gle
08/03/2008, 10:29 PM
If you just want to boost cal. use cal.chloride it wont raise alk. Your alk could stand to be a touch higher though. Try increasing your 2 part dose and watch alk level. If it begins to get above 10.5dkh finish rasing cal with cal. chloride. A kalk rx would be a great addition when you reach this point. Use it for all top off and cal. chloride for supplement. Then no more 2 part.