PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Design My Tank!!?

kernyboy
08/04/2008, 12:04 AM
So I'm new to this, just started buying up small pieces of coral. I don't know much about the chemical warfare various coral wage on each other...what to touch...what NOT to touch...you get the idea.

I would like coral thats manageable for a Newbie like myself, but ones that are still visually appealing. Any suggestions? Recomendations? Compatability issues? Things to stay away from??
I.e., the ones that would make me ill or have some allergic reaction to Haha.

here is a pic of my tank now:

http://www.kernyboy.com/IMG_0919.JPG

thanks

-Kern

blueblue48
08/04/2008, 01:16 AM
lets start off with the basics, what size is your tank?? how many watts is your light? what kind of light is it???

JMCAquarium
08/04/2008, 03:14 AM
I'm just guess but by the size of the filter I'd guess a 10-15 gallon with a PC light

kernyboy
08/04/2008, 07:20 AM
Oh, Sorry Here are the Tank Specs:

10Gal Tank
15lb Live Rock
10lbs Live Sand
BioWheel 100GPH Filter

Aqualite 96W Coralite (50/50 Actinic at 10K) About 9.6 W per Gallon

LiveStock:
Two Percula Clown
One DottyBack
Long Spiny Urchin
Red Banded Shrimp
Two Feather Dusters

Coral (So Far):
Red, Green, Purple Mushroom
Red Polyp
Green Polyp

I want to add something dynamic with lots of vibrant color to spice up the tank. Any suggestions?

I do 10% water change weekly.

My levels are:
Salinity - 1.023
Temp - 82degrees
Ph - 8.0
Ammonia - 0

60Cubed
08/04/2008, 11:12 AM
Better lights. JMO

seapug
08/04/2008, 09:53 PM
With your light you will need to stick with mushrooms or some low light LPS corals like Cynarinas or Scolymias. Definitely avoid SPS corals. In a tank that size with the lighting and filtration you have I'd focus on making a nice mushroom tank.

As far as compitibility goes, just keep different species from touching and you generally won't have any problems.

BuddhaKiss
08/06/2008, 10:29 PM
Looks like you're on your way to pretty decent start. What colors are you looking for? IMO GSP have a very vibrant gow to them...esp under actinics. But I have to admit, I'm especially bias to them. I wouldn't recommend them for a 10 gallon tho, spreads too fast. I like zoanthids for the color varieties. And although xenias are rather drab in color, their pulsating is mesmerizing....altho, again, I wouldn't put it in a 10G. Spreads too fast. You're choice tho,

BTW, I would be cautious with your Aquatic Gardens PH. IME, they don't make the best products. When I first started out, I bought the PH and heater to save $$. The heater stuck the first day I got it and cooked my tank. Thank goodness I was still curing my LR. The PH will sometimes stop working. But again, that's just what I experience. Good Luck!

fishymann
08/10/2008, 07:36 PM
Shocked no one else has mentioned this.. take the wheel out of the filter. Biowheels are HORRIBLE for saltwater tanks they act as a spot for nitrates to build up. Sorry can't provide you with much more info than that.