PDA

View Full Version : cracked glass (bottom pane).

Azazael13
08/04/2008, 07:32 AM
I was speaking with one of my friends this weekend about his tank. He has a 180 gal that he drilled in the bottom corner to put an overflow in. The glass cracked when he did this. He ignored it, put the overflow in and has had it that way for about a year now.

I maintain that it is just a matter of time before the glass cracks more (currently it is just towards the back corner, not going out to the main area. The crack is also completely contained behind the overflow.). My friend claims that since there isn't as much force there, the glass is fine and the crack won't spread.

Isn't the force on the glass spread out and shared? Which of us is correct?

In case it matters the glass is .5 inch.

Assuming the crack is a problem, wouldn't it be best to replace the bottom pane? Or is there a better choice such as getting another pane to place over the top of the broken piece?

vetdog
08/04/2008, 07:40 AM
The force is definitely spread out. There is no way I would trust leaving it that way....it is just a matter of time before he/she has 180 gallons to mop up.

limitdown
08/04/2008, 08:59 AM
I would definitely replace the bottom pane. It would only be a matter of time before the crack spreads.

Azazael13
08/04/2008, 09:05 AM
What would be the easiest way for him to replace the bottom pane? Could the bottom frame be pulled off, then the bottom pane taken out (leaving the sides intact)?

Or would placing a new pane on top of the old pane be sufficient (assuming you silicone it)?

Sk8r
08/04/2008, 09:12 AM
Frankly, I'd sell that tank for a reptile tank and get another. Placing a new pane, siliconing it, and then redrilling would be one option, but granted his last run of luck with the drill, hard to say. More than likely he put the hole too close to the edge.

sps1-2-b
08/04/2008, 11:25 AM
I had a brand new 80 gal tank break and flooded my floor. Not very fun. Somehow the bottom pane cracked. I would def not take a chance with leaving the crack. IMO it's prolly cheaper to buy a used drilled tank than to repair.

Playa-1
08/04/2008, 12:23 PM
A cracked tank is a good excuse for an upgrade.