PDA

View Full Version : brissel worm question?

mr.zoa
08/04/2008, 08:04 AM
I have a question cause its the first time ever happening so many times!
I keep having brissel worms spawning in my tank? The first time it happened I noticed it when I was cleaning my protien skimmer. In the middle of cleaning I noticed a BIG poof of white stuff get released into the water. Not knowing what it was and under investigation I seen a brissel worm flipping and curling arround releasing more. As soon as that cloud made its way arround the tank about 20 to 30 at least came out and did the same thing. By the time it was all over with it looked like I poured a gallon of milk in the tank! It worried me never seeing this before but the next day after getting home from work my tank was crystal clear and all my zoas and other corals looked to have benifited from it! Looked like anything that filter feeds in my tank loved the abundance of food from the spawn! Now it seems everytime I stir up the sand in the tank or clean the skimmer thru do it all over again?
This leads to my question. How can I get this to stop? At least in such large numbers all at once if at all?

Sk8r
08/04/2008, 08:08 AM
It's nature. They're happy.
You might, however, run carbon or polyfilter to take out organics.

Think of it as free fish food, up to a point. Any spawning can get bad in a small tank.

Carbon and/or polyfilter removes organics from water. A skimmer removes amino acids, which are another sort of organic. Both together will help.

I have never heard of worms alone doing this. Usually it's caulerpa weed. But keep some a 20% water change ready at all times and do it every time you note this happening. They can't do it indefinitely: hopefully the lovefest in the tank will be ending soon.

crvz
08/04/2008, 11:35 AM
Not sure how to get them to stop, it could be anything from lunar cycle to temperature fluctuations, but I wouldnt worry a whole lot about it. I'd probably chase some of Sk8r's recommendatiosn, water changes and some filters to catch the excess stuff in the water.