PDA

View Full Version : Purple sponge...

drifterstudios
08/04/2008, 12:04 PM
I have a zoa rock that is covered by a purple sponge... the zoa's seem to be able to open through it, but I'm concerned they won't be able to grow new heads if the sponge is there...

can they grow through sponges?

Will the sponge take them over in time?

650-IS350
08/04/2008, 12:32 PM
Sponges have been known to grow over zoas.

You can peel off the sponge under water and re-glue it to another rock.

flyyyguy
08/04/2008, 12:50 PM
That purple stuff sucks and does restrcit growth and make polysp weak ime

its does come off very easily though with a soft bristled brush...then just hit it again after a few weeks to get anything you missed.

That stuff cant be peeled off or glued elsewhere unless you broke the rock out from underneath it. I dont know why you would wnt to save it anyway.

Peter Eichler
08/04/2008, 01:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13086569#post13086569 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by flyyyguy
That purple stuff sucks and does restrcit growth and make polysp weak ime

its does come off very easily though with a soft bristled brush...then just hit it again after a few weeks to get anything you missed.

That stuff cant be peeled off or glued elsewhere unless you broke the rock out from underneath it. I dont know why you would wnt to save it anyway.

Thyat sponge is quite pretty and when I had it I wish I had tried to save a little. But yes, it's a royal pita when it comes to zoanthids and it took me a very long time to get it off the zoa rock I had it on.

JMCAquarium
08/04/2008, 03:54 PM
wear GLOVES !!!

jeweldamsel
08/04/2008, 10:26 PM
The purple sponge is definitely eye catching, but it grows so fast it will become a pest in no time.