PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Information on Setting up a FOWLR tank

fender4string
08/04/2008, 02:24 PM
Recently I've become interested in setting up a FOLWR tank. I've done some research online-mostly involving fish species-but still have a lot to learn before purchasing a tank. My main goal for the tank is to have a blue (hippo) tang and a picasso (humuhumu) trigger (based on what I've read these two should get along alright as long as the trigger is added last and is smaller than the tang initially). So....

1. What size tank should I get to accomodate these fish? 100g +?

2. How much live rock/sand is needed for a FOWLR tank?

3. What kind of equipment do I need for the tank? Powerheads, a filter, a protein skimmer, something as advanced as a sump?

4. Approx. how much will this set up cost?

5. Anything else I should know to set up the tank?

Any information would be extremely helpful as I'm obviously an extreme noob :D

inachu
08/04/2008, 02:39 PM
Do get sump and a skimmer.
Mine is currently a FOWLR tank but slowly being converted into a reef tank.

After you have all the hardware also invest in water testing equipment.

jimbo78
08/04/2008, 02:40 PM
i would go with a 6 foot tank at least, maybe a 120, that would be the minimum for the tang. as far as LR the rule of thumb is 1-1.5 lbs per gallon. you can go with alot less if you are going to use a wet/dry with bio balls.

if you go with just LR then you need to add some powerheads to keep the rock working as a filter.
you can go with live sand if you want or you can go bare bottom, which would make maintance eaiser.

if i was starting out like you i would go with a reef ready tank with a sump or wet/dry, LR, bare bottom, get the best skimmer you can afford(one rated for double the tank volume) cheap lights to start with.
the closer you get to a reef setup will be better in the long run. that way if you decide to add corals in the future you will only need to upgrade the lighting.

of course you can get by for pretty cheap by going BB with some LR and a couple powerheads. then just get a couple HOB filters with biowheels.
i wouldnt recommend going this way but its cheap and will work.

fender4string
08/04/2008, 03:25 PM
Ok thanks for the info. I'm glad you mentioned the lighting as I forgot to ask about that.

Another question-what is a "wet/dry" and what are bio balls?

jimbo78
08/04/2008, 03:35 PM
a wet/dry is a type of sump that allows water to flow down over bioballs before going through skimmer and pump. the bioballs act as a biological filter. they are great for FO or FOWLR tanks as long as you clean the bioballs now and then so nitrates dont become and issue

jimbo78
08/04/2008, 03:40 PM
depending on your location i would look into a local club forum on here. there are always great deals on used gear and livestock. also there are people that will come over and help you set things up if you need it.

fender4string
08/04/2008, 03:43 PM
Oh alright-thanks alot for the info and the advice-it was very helpful. I'll definitely look into local club forums.

jimbo78
08/04/2008, 03:49 PM
just take it all slow and try to buy the right things the first time. it may cost more in the short term but will save you alot in the long run.

oh and by the way welcome to reef central