PDA

View Full Version : Setting up 92.8831 Gal ........ Maybe

eme
08/05/2008, 03:39 AM
Hi All

I think the following is a request for help in the long term!

I found this site several months ago and have been lurking ever since (with the exception of a couple of questions to BeanAnimal )

A brief introduction. I’m returning to reefkeeping after a 10 – 15 year gap (I’m very old you see!). Moving around and other excuses seem to have prevented me from setting up tanks. I had toyed initially with the idea of keeping Rift Lake cichlids but when I read this site I was amazed at the advances and ecological developments that have been made in the intervening period. I owe lots of thanks to all of you who post here I want to be part of that continuing development. I must have spent weeks absorbing as much info here as possible (am I the only person ever to have read every page on Melev’s Reef and every word in Tswifty8’s thread? )

However those same reefkeeping developments make me a total newbie to the reefkeeping hobby.

Over the next few months I will setting up a 48 x 24 x 24 (probably) ‘extra clear’, 12mm ( 1/2”) rimless tank for SPS and a few smaller fish (although the SPS introduction will be in the in the longer term. )

My aspirations : -
- A quiet system ( I’m hoping to use an ‘external’ coast-to-cost based upon BeanAnimal’s principles . The rear panel will be 1/2 ‘ lower. I hope the overflow box will be strong enough !
- -No canopy with suspended lighting
- -Minimum maintenance with high levels of automation ( well I can aspire!) as I spend much of the winter months enjoying winter sports.
- Under tank sump/refugium in a cabinet. It gets very hot here so a chiller is a no-brainer
- Phosban, Calcium , Kalkwassser and Nitrate ‘reactors’ – might as well put them in early so that they fit.
- -DIY or buy ‘used’ as much as possible ---because I’m tight and broke !

The challenges :-
-I’m a Brit living in France and my French is appalling
- My DIY skills are ‘Below Average’ – so why do I enjoy it?
- My knowledge of chemistry is atrocious – although excellent at Bunsen burner abuse as a school kid
- I have little patience

…so now you know why I need ‘Help’!

My current plans are :-

- Delivered Tank by end of September
- Build sump ,cabinet and internal decor by end of September
- Set up by mid-October
- Cycle by mid-November ( add another 4 weeks following unexplained ‘crash”
- Watch ‘Live Rock’ until Xmas … lose patience after 3 days …

…Ill post here as I have questions and things actually happen; and pictures when I have stuff to show! … Enjoy my Journey .. and thanks very much for the enjoyment and education to date.
-

:)