PDA

View Full Version : Litermeter with Aquacontroller 3

The Saltman
08/05/2008, 04:55 AM
I apologize for this reading, but its the only way to get you to understand what I'm trying to do.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=13088007#post13088007

After you read, my question is, is this possible with the Aquacontroller?

kenargo
08/05/2008, 09:44 AM
Yes, what you ask is possible. The best method, so that you don't turn all LM3 pumps on/off is to have 1 pump controlled via relay and have the relay controlleed by a DC8.

You don't need a break-out box and any AC controller can do this.

Does this make sense?

The Saltman
08/05/2008, 12:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13091950#post13091950 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kenargo
Yes, what you ask is possible. The best method, so that you don't turn all LM3 pumps on/off is to have 1 pump controlled via relay and have the relay controlleed by a DC8.

You don't need a break-out box and any AC controller can do this.

Does this make sense?

I guess the part that is confusing me is controlling something "via relay." I was looking at this module: Control Interface Hardware (IM513). It seems like it would do what I need to use and plug into the DC8?

kenargo
08/05/2008, 12:41 PM
There are a couple of ways. One would involve cutting the wire between the LM3 and the pump and wiring a relay which would make/break the connection. The one I went with was to place the circuit into a small electronics project box and to have a wire that can plug into the LM3 and then have the pump plug into the project box (that saved me the hassle and possible voiding of the pump's warranty).

The Saltman
08/05/2008, 12:48 PM
I prefer to not cut or do any wiring for reasons you mentioned such as voiding the pumps warranty. Where can I get one of these small electronics project boxes?

kenargo
08/05/2008, 01:14 PM
Radio Shack is where I went for all the parts. Box, wire w/jack, plug, relay, cord. Some DIY and you've got yourself an LM3 controller;)