PDA

View Full Version : Millions og tiny star fish

God of thunder
08/05/2008, 08:51 AM
Well i´ve got them, are they dangerous in such waste numbers?

Sk8r
08/05/2008, 08:59 AM
They're sure a pest. They're, I take it, the white ones, not mini-brittle stars?
The white ones with odd arms are asterinas. There's somebody on RC selling them...maybe you could contact that person and arrange to ship a lot of them to him for the price of shipping...or a frag.
They're good in small numbers, but your tank is evidently Asterina Love Nest #1. Pretty soon they'll have eaten up their food supply and will be eating things you wish they wouldn't, because they will try to survive. Tweezers are good at picking them up.

Think of it as nutrient export, just the same as culling algae from a fuge.

God of thunder
08/05/2008, 09:05 AM
That would take forever, isn´t there sme type of shrimp wich feasts on them?

inachu
08/05/2008, 09:07 AM
are these real baby star fish or pests?

God of thunder
08/05/2008, 09:25 AM
They are really small and count in thousunds right now, they use to be only 5-6

tmz
08/05/2008, 10:20 AM
Some varieties will prey on coral and virtually all will graze coraline. When they do the bare spots attract hair aglae. Hymenocera(harlequin shrimp ) may eat them. Trouble is this shrimp only eats starfish and needs to be fed when they are gone.

I removed mine with tweezers for a while and just couln't keep up. A piece of 1/2 flexible tubing with a 4 to 6 inch length of rigid tubing at the end works very well as a siphon vacuum cleaner. Just suck them up into a 5 gallon buckett as part of you water change routine or put the water right back in without the asterinas of course. They usually stick to the side of the buckett. Many of them lay under rocks during the day so it's best to get them after lights out or when the lights first come on.

inachu
08/05/2008, 10:36 AM
Funny you pick GOD OF THUNDER.

In Japanese you say, "Bu" Thunder "Rai" Fighter "An" Peace.
BU-RAI-AN = Brian cool name to have in Japan all the girls will like you.

But back to the subject...

These are true starfish?

God of thunder
08/05/2008, 11:26 AM
What do you mean by that? Thease are real starfish as far as i know...

Sk8r
08/05/2008, 11:37 AM
In your sump, fine, in your tank, no.

Muscle Reefer
08/05/2008, 11:41 AM
i have them for over 2 years without any problems. It alll depends on the ones that you have. some are reef safe.

Muscle Reefer
08/05/2008, 11:44 AM
i saw the thread where someone is selling them for a insane price, i would just give them away to people in need of them.
if anyone =wants them and is in NYC area give me a holla.

God of thunder
08/05/2008, 12:56 PM
Thanks for your reply guys.
Anyway they are becoming to many for my taste, any of you guys knows witch shrimp i´m talking about?

tmz
08/05/2008, 04:19 PM
I gave you the name of the shrimp in my earlier post.

snorvich
08/05/2008, 04:52 PM
Harlequin shrimp eat them and are highly interesting as well. But you probably won't seem them as they are reclusive.