PDA

View Full Version : External Pumps question

Mscott203
08/05/2008, 06:26 PM
Hi everyone,
I recently had a power outtage and nicely enough both check valves failed (I think a snail mustve gotten into both of them based on the aromas that I expereinced when I replaced all the plumbing) and the siphon breaks I installed were clogged with algae, which meant that the sump overflowed, thanks to a siphon through the pumps, the linoleum pan under the stand overflowed and I had about 50 gallons on my carpet. -- all that aside
I got most things back together and only lost one coral to exposure.
I also lost both of my external sump pumps for some reason. (Panworld 100px-x and Iwaki 40rlxt)
1) The gfci outlet that I had both of them plugged in to would not allow either of them to power on.
2) they always worked before - they probably got some water around the feet of the pumps but not likely any water onto the actual body of them.
3) they probably ran "backwards" for a while as water made a siphon through them and pushed the propellors backwards
4) I plugged the Panworld into a non gfci outlet just to see what would happen and it still didn't run. though I smelled a electrical burning smell for a minute and it got very hot.
5) So I took both pumps off line and actually took to Panworld pump apart to see if I could find the issue - no luck- I couldn't get into the area where the electrical parts are.
6) I havn't messed at all with the Iwaki
7) I bought two new little giant pumps to just replace them
8) the larger of the little giant pumps works great
9) the smaller has the same problem - it blows the gfci everytime.

is there anything I can do with the iwaki or the little giant pump to get either one working again?
thanks for your help
MIke