PDA

View Full Version : Ca & Alk alternatives

KJAhp098
08/05/2008, 09:03 PM
Hey everybody...I have an SPS dominated tank and currently dose 2 part ESV b-ionic. I use about 1 1/2 cap fulls daily and go through it quite fast. I dont have any room for a calcium or kalkwasser reactor. Is there anything else I can use. I am considering using ESV calcium hydroxide and ESV calcium chloride if necessary. I would drip both of them. Will this option work w/out reactors while maintaining appropriate levels? Thanks.

Amphiprion
08/05/2008, 10:00 PM
There is no need to dose the CaCl continously. You really should only use it as an occasional calcium booster or in conjunction with a balanced counterpart (i.e. Randy's 2 part features sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate as well as magnesium chloride and/or magnesium sulfate as balanced counterparts to CaCl). Your best bet is to either opt for the DIY 2 part method or start supplementing with calcium hydroxide, which is balanced by itself. If you go the DIY route, you can just use that exclusively for very little cost. If you use the calcium hydroxide, it may or may not negate the need for two part. If using Ca(OH)2, then drip it slowly as your freshwater top-off and test whether or not it keeps up with demand. If it does, you're set; if not, then you'll need to add (less) 2 part. Be sure to watch pH with this method and don't add more than 2% system volume per day.