PDA

View Full Version : Help me stock my tank

axs377
08/05/2008, 09:42 PM
Well, it's not even set-up yet, but it is paid for and on order. It's a 265 perfecto 7' x 24" x 30". It will be a Fish only with a little bit of rock, maybe 150lbs. I of course have already pick out the fish I want, but would like opinions on the proposed stocking list or some totally different ideas. Here goes:

1 - Queen angelfish
1- majestic angel (will 2 angels work?)
1 - yellow tang
1 - naso blonde tang
1 - harlequin tusk
1 - humu rectangular trigger (or open to suggestion)
1 - puffer (porcupine or dog face)

I'm not sure the two angels will work together, but I have seen 2+ angels in tanks before.

Jerry W
08/05/2008, 09:49 PM
The queen angel will dominate the tank in time. I think the list is respectable. Be sure to factor in some very good filtration (as in a killer skimmer)

axs377
08/05/2008, 09:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13097247#post13097247 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jerry W
The queen angel will dominate the tank in time. I think the list is respectable. Be sure to factor in some very good filtration (as in a killer skimmer)

By dominate, do you mean kill the other inhabitants or just run the show so to speak? I am looking at an ASM g-5 or something rated for over 500 gallons.

Jerry W
08/05/2008, 09:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13097294#post13097294 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by axs377
By dominate, do you mean kill the other inhabitants or just run the show so to speak? I am looking at an ASM g-5 or something rated for over 500 gallons.

Not kill. They're simply a large pushy fish and it might pester some of the others. I'd add it last and make sure its not the largest fish in. Adding angels last is a good practice IMO/IME. Let the tank mature/stablize for several months. They tend to do better. Sounds like a nice set-up. Please post pics of the progress.

Sk8r
08/05/2008, 10:01 PM
Figure out the most aggressive (queen)and put them in last.
Put your leas aggro fish in first. And if you get a fight, turn lights out. Every day is a new day if you're a duck (or fish) and what is there now was always there.

axs377
08/05/2008, 10:35 PM
Was going to add in the following order

1 - yellow & naso tang

2 - harlequin tusk

3 - magestic angel

4 - puffer

5 - trigger

6 - queen angel

I was unsure if I should add the two angels together? or is the prescribed order ok? And when I finally get this thing set-up I will certainly post some pics.

Stuart60611
08/06/2008, 03:30 PM
I would add the angels together because they may fight otherwise.

Springmo
08/06/2008, 03:57 PM
Majestic angels are rather shy and sensitive. I wouldn't add one at all with the queen in there.

axs377
08/06/2008, 07:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13102225#post13102225 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Springmo
Majestic angels are rather shy and sensitive. I wouldn't add one at all with the queen in there.

What about a emperor instead of the majestic?

Also I was thinking of a gold heart trigger instead of the rectangular, but can't find much info on them. Anyone know how aggressive they are?

Springmo
08/06/2008, 09:14 PM
I think the emperor is a better choice, personally. I don't have much experience with the triggers but I think either would be fine in the tank.

reefergeorge
08/07/2008, 05:35 PM
FWIW the triggers you mention are very slow growers. So I would buy a large one, or they will be dwarfed shortly.

axs377
08/07/2008, 09:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13109853#post13109853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefergeorge
FWIW the triggers you mention are very slow growers. So I would buy a large one, or they will be dwarfed shortly.

Thank you that is important. If I can't find a larger one, do you have any suggestions on another type of trigger that is not going to terrorize the tank?

urbor
08/08/2008, 09:16 AM
yeah ive had a few majestics and they are very shy and timid

the ones i have kept have passed away from them being too timid
they need to be the most aggressive fish and they arent very aggressive

emperor would be a much better choice to go with the queen
i house many angles together the key is to introduce them at the same time

as for triggers how about a sargasum or blue jaw or crosshatch

axs377
08/21/2008, 07:55 PM
Ok the tank gets set up on Sunday!!!! I am currently contemplating this setup. Fish are grouped by order to be added.

yellow tang
blonde naso tang
harlequin tusk

miniatus grouper

dog face puffer

queen angel
emperor angel
passer angel

I have some live rock and over 100gallons of water from a 220 I broke down, along with plenty of crushed agronite. I'm hoping to start adding fish within a month.

agreeive?fish
08/21/2008, 09:07 PM
I would add the puffer before the tangs, the dogface puffers are prety mellow going fish in my opinion

add the tangs at the same time (yellows can get prety mean once established to new additions)

you might have some combat issues with the queen and passer...
add your angels at the same time for best results

fender4string
08/21/2008, 09:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13111315#post13111315 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by axs377
Thank you that is important. If I can't find a larger one, do you have any suggestions on another type of trigger that is not going to terrorize the tank?

I don't have hands on experience with triggers but have researched them quite a bit as I want to get a picasso trigger in the near future. From what I've read, the picasso trigger is in the middle of the range of aggression for triggers. They also get more aggressive as they mature. The least aggressive trigger fish are those with "up-turned" mouths like the cross hatch triggers (anything from the genus Xanthichthys )

Anyway here's a really good article that has a lot about triggerfish in general. Hope it helps!

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/7/fish/view?searchterm=trigger