PDA

View Full Version : Solana questions

aj0716
08/05/2008, 09:48 PM
Where to begin... Well, first off, I've been planning an aquarium for my new home in florida for quite a while (about 6 months.) Over this time period I've played around with ideas for multiple aquariums; everything from a 100 gallon fish only, to a 20 gallon nanoreef. I have been completely unsure of the aquarium I wanted until a few days ago. I walked into a kinda local (50 miles away) lfs, simply to marvel at the coral and fish (as I usually do.) Before even passing through the doors, something caught my eye. A cube, illuminated by what must have been the ugliest light fixture I'd ever seen. I immediately ran up to it, and gazed in. The tank had very little live-rock, however, it had an orange montipora in the center, with multiple zoanthids towards the bottom of the live-rock. On the bottom was a beautiful gigas around 3-4". For fish there was a pair of skunk clowns, and a tiny blue-striped goby. To complement the livestock wwas perfectly clear water, and a clean looking tank (no power heads on the inside, only two outlets that came from the back divider.) Then and there I knew one thing, "that this was the tank!" I found that it was a current solana. So (sorry I wrote sooo much, I'm just really excited :p ) Anyway. I got home and immediately read up on the tank, so here's my plan. I have a $1000 budget for the first 4 months of the tank being set up. (God knows how much I'll spend after that, on live-rock sand and coral.) Here's my list;
#1. solana (aka eco-cube) aquarium from drs. foster and smith-$300
#2. Custom made 21st century stand (look's like an elos stand)
#3. Giesmann Nova 12" fixture-$400
#4. Typhon Ro/Di unit from airwaterice.com-$200
#5. heater, sand, teest kits, salt, buckets+power-heads to mix water
First off, is the Giesmann a good fixture (to keep a few clams, sps, but mostly lps and soft coral)? Also, I'm gpoing to be living in a neighborhood in florida, that uses tap water... Is the typhon the best Ro/Di unit I can get for the money? And finally, what am I missing from my list?
(P.S. Thanks for spending the time to read this obnoxiously long post! :D )

jet fixer
08/06/2008, 03:27 AM
When I saw the Solana in my LFS I had the exact same thought.

A chiller has been a "must" for me. I live in Arizona in an attempt to keep the electric bill under $200 on a 1600sq ft home I keep the temp @ 88 during the day needless to say the chiller runs quite a bit considering. It is a current 1/15hp that I got off of ebay for $150. I've also added a ATO system, junked the stock skimmer for a Tunze 9002 with custom cup from steveT and converted the middle section to a fuge w/cheato and live rock rubble.
I get a kick out of the 150HQI pendant that comes with the tank and is probably one of the main reasons I bought the system. I did change the bulb to a Phoenix 14K after six months.
After seeing the Solana thread my tank looked a bit bare so $300ish dollars later I hope I will fill it in. I'm awaiting an order from Vivid aquariums and Coral Morphologic they are supposed to arrive this week I will post photo's in the Solana thread of all the new mods and inhabitants when they arrive.

aj0716
08/06/2008, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the response! Do you think I'll need a chiller, the house stays at a constent 70 degrees (big air-conditioners in florida.) Las tnight I made a cart at drs.foster and smith, hellolights, and airwaterice.com;

Drs.Foster and smith-magfloat, 2 maxi jet powerheads (mixing saltwater, and one on the a.t.o.), 50 gallons of instant ocean reef crystals, 20lbs of tahitian moon sand, 100watt stealth heater, moon light, jbj A.T.O., coralife power center, gfci (so I don't electricute myself), and the eco-cube, itself-$530

O.K. so, here's the deal. I can either buy the nice giesmann fixture and not get an RO/Di, or get a 150watt aquamedic fixture with the RO/Di
the question; I've heard that pet-stores sell RO/Di water, so, I looked on google mapquest (and think that's what it's called), and there are 8 fish-stores within 50 miles of my new house (and 2 are less than 10 miles away!!!) What are the chances that none of these pet stores sell Ro/Di water?

aj0716
08/06/2008, 11:19 AM
P.S. "jet fixer", I just found a photo of your tank on the solana owner's thread... lookin' good!

jet fixer
08/06/2008, 03:30 PM
You may not need a chiller fans may work for you a HQI light adds heat .
Have you looked a Marine Depot? their prices are usually more reasonable than Dr F&S. Premium Aquatics and Custom Aquatics have reasonable prices also. I would shop around your local fish stores also the ones in my area are very good and the prices are not as high as people write about in their towns.
I get my RO/DI from a LFS at $0.40 a gallon I will eventually get a RO/DI unit but the one I want is around $800. For some reason 4 to 1 waste bothers me Spectra pure has one with a 1 to 1 waste ratio so I'm going to start saving for that one (most likely next years tax refund).

If it was me I would get the light then the RO/DI later but, thats just what I would do. Now I have a reason to go to the LFS every few weeks if I had a RO/DI unit I would need to use my imagination to find another reason.

aj0716
08/07/2008, 06:45 PM
So, do you think the giesemann is a good fixture? The others I'm considering include the current sundial (214 watt)-$300, the 70, 150, or 250 watt ocean light-$250-$280, and if I can get the money together, maybe even the 12" aquaillumination LED light. Which is the best? Is the LED fixture all it's hypedd-up to be?

minireef30
08/07/2008, 07:54 PM
Don't forget the Dr. F&S eco cube is smaller than the current usa solana. I think the eco-cube is 18x18x18, current usa is 20x20x20.
I love the giesemann lights but they are very high priced for what you get.

AquatiCoug
08/07/2008, 08:24 PM
I am laughing to myself about your post. I had the same reaction to the Solana when I saw it. It is beauuuutiful. Three months later I bought it!:D

I personally dont think the HQI adds that much heat. I have never had a problem. Although the heat in DC pales in comparison to FL! I and most other Solana owners dont recommend using the glass cover that comes stock.

Not sure what the consensus is here but I am thinking a 250W may be better than the 150W for the depth of this tank. With that said I would look at some of the HQI/T5 or PC combos out there. Definitely need a chiller if you go with the 250 though.

Good luck looking forward to pix of the tank

southstar066
08/07/2008, 08:27 PM
i have a solana...love the tank..i got the tank stand light combo for $700...no chiller for me i got the azoo 2 unit fan which keeps the temp at 78. its only like $25 on dr f&s. if you dont like the disco ball i think for the same price you can get the sunpod 150w.. or upgrade to the 250w. but that should leave about $250 for your live rock and sand and heater and tests..

ace1204
08/07/2008, 10:39 PM
I have a 150w giesmann with 2 bulbs i could sell you $200 if you go this route PM me soon though as i will be putting it up in the for sale section soon and they go quick

aj0716
08/08/2008, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the replies! So is the eco-cube really smaller than the solana? I thought it was the same tank under a different name. Anyway... where can I get the best deal on just the aquarium? P.S. Thanks for the offer ace1204, but I've been working 24/7 to pack up my stuff, in preparation for the move, and I don't have the money at the moment.
P.S.S. Can I keep clams on the bottom of the tank with the 150 watt sunpod, and is the 14000k bulb that comes with it good?

aj0716
08/08/2008, 05:56 PM
P.S.S.S. I found the solana aquarium for under $300 on jt aquarium supplies (never heard of them before), and found the sunpod 150 watt (20"), for only $220. Is this a good price? And what do you guys think of the solana strand? Is it sturdy? what's the build quality? (I'd like to build my own stand, however, once I get the tank, I'll want to fill it with water :))

Timberwerks
08/08/2008, 06:10 PM
Sent you PM.