PDA

View Full Version : ehiem better than fluval?

inachu
08/06/2008, 05:59 AM
One LFS employee told me that fluval was just s knockoff off of ehiem.

kzickovich
08/06/2008, 06:11 AM
I have personal exper. with the fluval but not the ehiem I had two and they both went down in flames comparied to my rena

snorvich
08/06/2008, 06:27 AM
eheim rocks. I cannot comment on fluval.

Chago09
08/06/2008, 06:30 AM
umm not to many people use these filters on this site since it is a reef site. I actually have only one reef tank but have an embarrasing amount of fresh water large cichlid tanks. With my tanks I use sumps, hob and canisters.

I swear by Aqua Clear 110 HOB filters and the RENA XP4 filters. Best filters, never once had a issue with any of them.

Fluval I swear against. All their models are just junk. I actually got one with a aquariam kit once. I believe it was the 405. It leaked when I first set it up. So I exchanged it for another one. It worked and then in 3 days leaked in the same spot the other one did. Fluval is having serious oring issues.

Eheim I have not used before although I do know they are supposed to be the best quality units. Although the cost is incredible. The reason why I mentioned the XP4 from RENA is because if you wish you could buy two XP4 which would be a lot of filtration for the price of 1 Eheim Pro series. Believe me its not worth spending soooo much on good marketing when a RENA will do the same job as a Eheim.

Tswifty
08/06/2008, 06:41 AM
Sump & Fuge

Eheim is top notch though.

billdogg
08/06/2008, 06:41 AM
i have used both ehiem and fluval canister filters - i have ehiems that are 20+ years old and still going strong, my fluval lasted about 1 year. hmmmmmmmm you decide - you do get what you pay for!

inachu
08/06/2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys.
I am asking because my Fluval 305 IS leaking.
I went to home dept and bought a rubber maid type of half sized tray for the filter to sit in while it SLOWLY leaks.

Guess I'm in the market for eheim soon.

bmk
08/06/2008, 07:19 AM
I use an Eheim Pro II 2026 (from my fresh water days) for carbon and Rowa, cant fault it, very quiet and parts are easy to get hold of here in the UK should I need them.

Barry

Michael
08/06/2008, 07:23 AM
ive had a fluval 405 for 5 years and never had 1 single problem with it ever, however its going very soon and im replacing it with another tunze, at present the fluval is just being used for water movement

CoralCaps
08/06/2008, 08:50 AM
Eheim over Fluval any day. Never had a problem with my Eheim.

Both my Eheim and Rena have been running for three years now, non-stop except for cleanings.

Fluval, wouldn't touch it.

Michael
08/06/2008, 10:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13099224#post13099224 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CoralCaps
Eheim over Fluval any day. Never had a problem with my Eheim.

Both my Eheim and Rena have been running for three years now, non-stop except for cleanings.

Fluval, wouldn't touch it.

ive no doubt your views are correct, out of interest have you ever had a fluval?

James77
08/06/2008, 10:41 AM
I've owned several fluvals over my freshwter years- they are cheap junk. Ive had fastening clips snap, impeller covers break, leaks, cheap tubing, noisiness.

Ive only owned one eheim canister, however, Ive never had any of the above problems with it.

Michael
08/06/2008, 11:03 AM
fair enough, ive had litrally dozens of ehiems, however i havent seen any in the last five years, ive been told by friends they are very good top quality now, which is good news, because previous models were total crap, little green cylinders with crappy spring clips and a horrible 0 ring which was a complete nightmare when it came to being able to push the top into the cyclinder, thank goodness they have changed now and are as good as my friends and you suggest

GSMguy
08/06/2008, 11:09 AM
i think canister filters are a waste of time with reef tanks.

Michael
08/06/2008, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13100166#post13100166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
i think canister filters are a waste of time with reef tanks.

i 100% totally agree, as mentioned i use my old 405 just for water movement, but will strip it out and use a powerhead instead:)