PDA

View Full Version : micro bubbles!!

cjilge
08/06/2008, 06:15 AM
I'm having a hard time getting rid of the micro bubbles. This tank didn't have them before the move, and now it does. It is a 65gl rr w/ 30gl sump. Mag 12 plumbed with a ball valve then a T which recircs to the sump, it also has a gate valve on it. I followed plumbing suggestions I found on here. The tank has been running since last Friday. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Chris

Chago09
08/06/2008, 06:22 AM
well you must be able to trace where the bubbles are coming from. Turn the tank off (all pumps etc) Wait for bubbles to settle and then turn everything on one at a time to see whats creating the bubbles. Then when you find the root of the problem, fix it LOL

WIth my 90 gallon its a manufacturer drilled tank. In the return like they have a hole in the pipe which of course is for air so it doesn't back siphon. Well this hole was shooting water out of it causing microbubles in my tank. Basically I put a piece of filter sponge infront of it loosely. This way the water gets shot out the hole at the sponge which deflects the bubbles back into the over flow compartment. The bubbles just settle inside the over flow. This allowed me to stop the bubbles plus not plug the air hole which could be dangerous.

You need to find the root of the issue, there is no way anyone cn tell you why you have bubbles by simply telling us how big your tank and sump are.

inachu
08/06/2008, 06:57 AM
I used to have this problem but then my tank was new and the problem went away as the tank ages.

Since the tank has only been running since last friday this tells me your tank is new.

drucifer42301
08/06/2008, 07:38 AM
Is your sump baffled? If so, in what manner?

cjilge
08/06/2008, 12:03 PM
The bubbles are comming from the main return line, no doubt. the sump is baffed into three sections, first for the return and skimmer, second is a fuge, and third is the return w/ pump and heater. this tank was set up and running at my brothers for about 3 years, due to a major ice storm last winter everuthing was a loss! He aquired a 180rr from a friend getting out and I got this one. Everything was running fine untill I touched it. LOL

THANKS FOR THE HELP!
Chris

Tswifty
08/06/2008, 01:15 PM
How is the return line plumbed? It sounds like there my be an air leak in the line somewhere.

cjilge
08/06/2008, 02:51 PM
I found it !! There was a small leak in the return just above the ball valve. NO more bubbles. There was also a small drilled hole on the outlet that wasn't under the water line, it was an antisyphon hole. I cut it out repaired the pipe and redrilled a small hole about 1/2" under the water line. Still have plenty of room in the sump if power is off. Thanks again for all the help!

Chris