PDA

View Full Version : Centropyge: An Angel Amongst the Angels?

Chibils
08/06/2008, 04:36 PM
Given your personal experience, which of the above is the most reef-safe? I'm aware that they all have inherent risk, but I'd still like to chance one anyways. I can always find a home for it if need be...

I'm looking for the best match in terms of disposition, ease of care, and safety with my tiny coral collection. I have: two Montipora species, one Ricordea yuma, one R. florida, and six tiny colonies of Zoanthus spp. Also included is a small plate coral that hitchhiked in on my rock. My montis, while I love them, are my least prized corals; if anyone must be sacrificed, let it be them. While I would love to delve into the world of acans, micros, and other gorgeous lps, I understand that they're probably the most likely to be eaten and can also become the most expensive. So instead, I'll probably continue after discosomas, ricordeas, and zoanthids.

I have listed the six that most interest me (and fit in my budget, as a peppermint would be my first choice. :D).

For temperament issues, my stock is as follows:
2x Nemateleotris magnifica (firefish)
2x Amphiprion oscellaris (false percula clowns)
1x Amblygobius rainfordi (rainford's goby)
1x Genicanthus melanospilos (swallowtail angel)
1x Stonogobiops nematodes (barbershop goby)
2x Lystama amboinensis (skunk cleaner shrimp)
1x Lystama deblius (fire shrimp)
7x Lystama wurdemanni (peppermint shrimp)

Chibils
08/06/2008, 07:37 PM
Bump.

Chibils
08/07/2008, 11:21 AM
Bump.

I'm sure someone can give me a legitimate reply, considering the popularity of dwarf angels.

maui-reefer
08/07/2008, 12:45 PM
The following is an older article but still very relevant

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/Fish.htm

My experiences with Dwarf Angelfish are mixed like most hobbyists. I have had two Dwarf Angelfish (Flame, Coral Beauty). Neither one bothers my corals but both were very aggressive against new fish introduced into my aquarium. My last Dwarf (Flame) was such a terror against new smaller fish, that I eventually broke my tank down to get the little s*** out. My LFS has told me that they have bad experiences in Reef Tanks with Lemonpeel, Potter, Multicolored and Bi-Color Dwarf Angelfish. I personally watched a Lemonpeel pick at a beautiful Acan colony in a show tank.

I would recommend a Venustus Pygmy, Lamarck, Bellus or Japanese Swallowtail. The last three are members of the Genicanthus genus and are known plankivores. Lamarcks are commonly available and not very expensive.

I would also add Angelfish last to your tank.

TK

Chibils
08/07/2008, 02:53 PM
I already have a Genicanthus melanospilos; I am well aware of their planktivous diet, which is why I added one. Now I'm ready to take the plunge into a more risky angel since I've grown to love my swallowtail so much. I don't want to overstock my tank and the Genicanthus angels get large; besides, I like smaller fish. The pygmies seem to have better coloration anyways; I just wanted to know which would fit in best.

Edit: Thanks for the link.

BangkokMatt
08/07/2008, 06:00 PM
Out of the above listed I would try the potters or cherub due to less risk. The Bi-color is the most destructive fish I've ever had. It was a nightmare!!!!

Sheol
08/07/2008, 06:57 PM
C. argi is most reefsafe, but given some of your fish selections, it may seem more like a fallen angel! They are very aggressive!

Matthew

Chibils
08/07/2008, 07:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13110019#post13110019 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BangkokMatt
Out of the above listed I would try the potters or cherub due to less risk. The Bi-color is the most destructive fish I've ever had. It was a nightmare!!!! Matt, you know I really respect your opinion, but I'm at a loss here: the argi is probably [one of] the safest, but apparently gets mean. Do you see any issues? Meanwhile, I hear tons of bad things about the potteri, as well. What do you think?

My personal ppreference would be to have copps or flameangel in here, but hey... :)

Mariner
08/07/2008, 07:46 PM
There's an LFS in our region that keeps Brazilian Flamebacks in many of his reef tanks with no problems; he says he has a lot of confidence that they are very reef safe. I've had one for 2 or 3 years in a reef with no probs.
FWIW,
Mariner

Chibils
08/07/2008, 08:13 PM
Thanks Mariner. I'm aware that the poll is skewed, as more people will have had a positive experience with potteri/argi than with some of the less commonly available species, but that didn't occur to me until about three hours after I made the thread...

BangkokMatt
08/07/2008, 10:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13110562#post13110562 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chibils
Matt, you know I really respect your opinion, but I'm at a loss here: the argi is probably [one of] the safest, but apparently gets mean. Do you see any issues? Meanwhile, I hear tons of bad things about the potteri, as well. What do you think?

Well, they can become aggressive but I wouldn't worry too much about that with your stock list. I was mainly addressing your question from a coral keeping point of view but I didn't make that very clear:o

As you know, you are not going to get a definitive answer from this thread but I still would only consider the 2 I mentioned before:)

zemuron114
08/08/2008, 08:57 AM
argi, flameback(s) or potters would be the best bet IMO. Potters are usually pretty safe with the few exceptions. Most corals we have in our aquariums are not found in Hawaii so it will take a pretty hungry potters to start munching away.

Chibils
08/08/2008, 09:22 AM
Would mixing a potteri and aurotonotus in a 90 be an unwise choice? What can you tell me about the venustus?

Chibils
08/08/2008, 09:16 PM
Up with you!

I'm hungry for opinions! :spin3:

BangkokMatt
08/08/2008, 10:02 PM
Venustus are a beautiful fish but fairly timid. Ime they are best kept without other angels. As for mixing potteri and aurotonotus, it could work but you will have to add them together for an increased chance of success.

Mariner
08/08/2008, 10:02 PM
I've read many warnings against mixing dwarf angels in anything but the largest of tanks. I've taken some calculated risks with certain fish at times, but that's one gamble I don't think I'd take.
FWIW,
Mariner

Toddrtrex
08/08/2008, 10:59 PM
Of the ones you have listed, I have kept ( at some point over the last 15 year or so )

C. acanthops (African Flameback) -- have one now, for 1+ years, hasn't touched a thing, SPS, anemones and zoas.

C. potteri (Potter's) -- have one now, 8 months now. Hasn't touched any SPS, clams, zoas, acans, or anemones.

C. bicolor (Bi-color) -- had one many years ago -- devil's spawn as far as reef safe goes.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13118625#post13118625 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BangkokMatt
As for mixing potteri and aurotonotus, it could work but you will have to add them together for an increased chance of success.

I am actually going to try that this weekend. Already have then in different tanks. Separately they have been very docile, but I can only hope that they stay that way towards each other. Going to put the flameback in a container first and see how he is received. Lucky for me I can always move him back to his tank if it doesn't work out.

In the past I had a flame and lemonpeel together for 1+ years without issue. Though once the lemonpeel started nipping at my coral I sold it.

Chibils
08/09/2008, 09:12 AM
I'd love a venustus, but I already have a G. melanospilos with similar--though more subtle--markings and coloration. I'll stick to trying to mix aurotonotus and loriculus (if I can get my hands on a true Hawai'ian).

AC11337
08/09/2008, 11:12 AM
i read an article in aquarium fish magazine that stated either a flameback or a cherub are your best bets for a reef

Chibils
08/09/2008, 08:32 PM
Alright, I have to bite... I've always had a soft spot for the multicolor. There's one in the Diver's Den for $100. How are they? Joculator disposition? Shy, observant, good with coral?

crvz
08/09/2008, 08:48 PM
I voted for the cherub, but from experience I only know which ones which would qualify for "arent the most reef safe" (being the half-black and lemonpeel).

Chibils
08/10/2008, 08:20 PM
Who has kept a multicolor? What're your experiences in a reef setting?

mpoletti
08/10/2008, 08:58 PM
multicolors are notorious munchers :(