PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock Question

SaltSolutions1
08/06/2008, 08:50 PM
I just put about 35 more lbs of live rock into my tank. The guy I bought it from is selling it because he's tearing down 120g tank.....my questions are geared towards the live rock's quality:

he said it's Figi rock

the rock has stuff all over it (brownish plantlife (i think) growing out of a lot of it.

one piece has a clam in it. they have barnacles all over some parts too

i ended up with a little star fish as a hitchhiker (is he ok?)

also, coral has red and orange patches on it

thank u for your feedback

SaltSolutions1
08/06/2008, 09:17 PM
not coral.......live rock has patches of red and orange on it

kau_cinta_ku
08/06/2008, 09:19 PM
the star fish will be fine, it is most like a mini brittle star.

the red and orange is most likely coraline algae. sounds like some good rock.

Aquarist007
08/06/2008, 09:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13104088#post13104088 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SaltSolutions1
I just put about 35 more lbs of live rock into my tank. The guy I bought it from is selling it because he's tearing down 120g tank.....my questions are geared towards the live rock's quality:

he said it's Figi rock

the rock has stuff all over it (brownish plantlife (i think) growing out of a lot of it.

one piece has a clam in it. they have barnacles all over some parts too

i ended up with a little star fish as a hitchhiker (is he ok?)

also, coral has red and orange patches on it

thank u for your feedback

IMO I would stay away from any rock with barnacles on it--you don't want them in a display tank

kau_cinta_ku
08/06/2008, 09:24 PM
never heard that barnacles are bad. do you have a link about them?

StupidsReef
08/06/2008, 09:31 PM
Barnacles aren't bad, as long as you don't mined them taking over your tank. They can mulitply quickly and are very hard to remove. If that's barnacles. I prefer not to have them but that's just me.

A tiny star?? Does this mean it looks like a britle star or a star like the blue lenuka?? Tiny gray colored stars that do not look like a britle star will eat the flesh of SPS and Zoa's. I would not want to keep them in my system.

This is all JMO.

SaltSolutions1
08/06/2008, 09:33 PM
I think they look great, It offers texture to the rock and makes it look very real looking.....the aquascape i mean.

plus the coral that will eventually be in the tank will eventually cover a lot of the barnacles

Aquarist007
08/06/2008, 09:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13104403#post13104403 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by StupidsReef
Barnacles aren't bad, as long as you don't mined them taking over your tank. They can mulitply quickly and are very hard to remove. If that's barnacles. I prefer not to have them but that's just me.

A tiny star?? Does this mean it looks like a britle star or a star like the blue lenuka?? Tiny gray colored stars that do not look like a britle star will eat the flesh of SPS and Zoa's. I would not want to keep them in my system.

This is all JMO.

ask PaulB about barnacles;)

FutureBoyGenius
08/06/2008, 09:50 PM
Salt Solution: Do you have any pictures of your LR?

SaltSolutions1
08/06/2008, 10:15 PM
i have pics but picasso will not let me upload them. I can email them. what is your email and i will send

SaltSolutions1
08/07/2008, 09:39 AM
The star is a white or ivory color and is not even an inch wide.

Is he ok?