PDA

View Full Version : best way to keep high calcium

jubjub
08/07/2008, 03:32 PM
hi all, lately i been fascinated with sps mainly acros/caps and picked up a clam as well...figuring these all will drain my caclium levels real fast whats the best way to keep it up. thats not like super expensive? should i just dose a tsp every other day or so?

Sk8r
08/07/2008, 03:44 PM
Kalk would be perfect for you.
And cheap, at 5.00 for two pounds of Mrs. Wages' Pickling Lime.

To use: do you have an autotopoff system? If you don't, get one. You'll need a topoff unit: mine is from autotopoff.com, dual float switch in-sump unit. You'll need a maxijet 1200. You'll need whatever bucket you're using for topoff, but it must be ro/di water and it must have a lid. You have to use ro/di for sps anyway, so if you don't have your own filter, get one. ;)

Now, after your topoff is running, insert a locline 1/4" plug in the end of the maxijet's hose: use a hose clamp or glue to make it stay put. Attach locline 1/4 inch to run to wherever your want the topoff to enter your system, and firmly brace/clamp the end of it. 5 gallons of kalkwasser in your carpet is messy beyond easy explanation.

Dump somewhat over 2 tsp of kalk powder per gallon into topoff bucket, stir. Use sponge gasket on rim to lid bucket tightly, with locline exiting and topoff pump in bucket...propped up OUT of the white muck in the bottom of the bucket: don't suck up that stuff. As you add more ro/di that gunk will dissolve eventually.

It will use your tank's evaporation to put in dissolved kalk via your ro/di topoff, and will HOLD whatever alk/cal reading you started with. So set that by dosing. The only thing that will make it fall is: slowing of evaporation; running out of water in topoff bucket; or running out of magnesium in your system.

Easy, cheap, saves a bundle, no extra equipment. My topoff bucket is 32g, so I dump in a half a pound of kalk and forget it for a week. Test once a week, and of course observe your corals.

The stuff is safe: I've twice goofed and shot my tank full of white---all specimens lived, no problem. Immediately check your ph and your salinity (kalk IS fresh water)---fix ph with mild doses of bar soda water, correct salinity. All ok. Fresh water overdose is as big a problem as ph rise: correct both...but remember the ph will self-adjust with kalk very fast, so don't correct unless really big ph swing (big,big,big overdose).

reefworm
08/07/2008, 08:50 PM
I agree that kalkwasser is a great approach to maintaining levels of Ca++ and alkalinity. My tank is small enough to just use an IV drip, but a top off method such as Sk8r suggests is a good method for your size. Two additional comments:

you may find that from time to time the calcium levels drop more than you'd like even if you are using kalk. when that happens I "bump" the levels up with a two-part calcium additive. I buy it since I don't use it too much, but jump over to the chemistry forum and find Randy's homemade formula to save some $$$

second, magnesium is an important factor in calcium and alkalinity balance. it should be one of your regular tests - and try to keep it in the 1250-1350 ppm range

jubjub
08/07/2008, 10:15 PM
thats awesome guys guess im headed to wallyworld tommorow to get some Mrs. Wages' Pickling Lime

do i need to do anything like bake the pickling lime or just dump a few tsp in?

also so, this should keep alk and calcium up...

revautosports
08/08/2008, 01:43 AM
Yeah so how big of a tank will this method work for before i have to go with a calcium reactor setup???

reefworm
08/08/2008, 06:25 AM
here are a couple good reads for you on maintaining ca/alk balance and kalkwasser:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm
http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html

Playa-1
08/08/2008, 07:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13111694#post13111694 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jubjubrsx
thats awesome guys guess im headed to wallyworld tommorow to get some Mrs. Wages' Pickling Lime

do i need to do anything like bake the pickling lime or just dump a few tsp in?

also so, this should keep alk and calcium up...

Kalk needs to be mixed, allowed to set undisturbed overnight, decanted and added very slowly to the tank. You need to research it thoroughly before using it but it is a gr8 tool to help you maintain Alk and Calcium. You will be looking for Mrs.Wages pickling lime. Make sure it's not of the spicy or seasoned variety.

I use Kalk and I dose it thru a low volume dosing pump which also acts as my ATO. Many people drip it thru an inexpensive drip system. There's lots of different ways to set it up.
Check out this link.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

You could also consider a two part dosing system. It's a bit more expensive to use but there's also less effort involved.