PDA

View Full Version : baby mantis shrimp?

rgentry123
08/07/2008, 07:50 PM
okay, i cant really tell, and you probably cant from this picture either, but i think i may have found baby mantis shrimp in my tank. i sincerely hope i'm wrong. they are pretty tiny right now, but i can tell that they definately have some pretty big forearms. when i put them on the napkin for this picture they were trying to snap at with them. they looked like rock 'em sock em' robots. can anybody tell me if i should be worried about more of these in the tank or is it possible they are even mantis shrimp and maybe somthing else?

bsagecko
08/07/2008, 07:56 PM
no pic

if you think or suspect it is a mantis kill it ASAP

rgentry123
08/07/2008, 08:01 PM
ok, i dont know whats going on but now i cant attach my pics. probably wouldnt have helped anyway though, they are pretty crappy.

rgentry123
08/07/2008, 08:05 PM
i'm also concerned becuase i found three of these things and i'm worried that there could be more. alot more. ESPECIALLY if they are in fact those little mantis shrimp a-holes

bsagecko
08/07/2008, 08:08 PM
If you suspect a mantis shrimp infestation you should take every piece of liverock out and inspect it then you should set up traps for these guys and kill them all

hooterhead
08/07/2008, 08:10 PM
You sure they aren't some type of pod? Usually mantis aren't found in that high of a concentration. Maybe this?

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/amphipod.jpg

rgentry123
08/07/2008, 08:14 PM
okay, maybe they arent mantis because those look pretty close to what they are. these had those big forearms like mnatis shrimp though....

BuddhaKiss
08/07/2008, 08:30 PM
I went through the same thing when I set up my SW tank. I was so alarmed when I saw baby Mantis Shrimps crawling all over my chaeto...and yes, I too thought their arms were mantis-like. Turned out, they were amphipods.