PDA

View Full Version : Flat worms?

pete 43
08/07/2008, 08:30 PM
I think I have a case of the flatworms.I'm not too certain though.
They are the size of half of a grain of rice,reddish-brown and all over the place.I thought they were nudis,they're not bothering anything,yet.
So should I worry,is there a fish I can get like a manderin goby or a type of wrasse,maybe a 6-line.The tank is well established so there is plenty of pods to keep a manderin fed for a while.
Any help is appreciated from a fellow reefer.
Thanks alot,so long-Pete

Percula9
08/07/2008, 08:32 PM
The wrasse will eat them.

figuerres
08/07/2008, 08:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13110996#post13110996 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pete 43
I think I have a case of the flatworms.I'm not too certain though.
They are the size of half of a grain of rice,reddish-brown and all over the place.I thought they were nudis,they're not bothering anything,yet.
So should I worry,is there a fish I can get like a manderin goby or a type of wrasse,maybe a 6-line.The tank is well established so there is plenty of pods to keep a manderin fed for a while.
Any help is appreciated from a fellow reefer.
Thanks alot,so long-Pete

I think Melv's web site has some helpfull info.

they can be a mess, they reproduce by fission, they are detrivores that also use light like alge to fuel grwoth.
they can cover a sandbed or rock work.
when they die they are toxic.

if you can pull rock out you can rinse a lot of them off with change water, you can make a syphon with some tubing and a filter sock to take some off the rock, glass and sand.

you can use Flatworm Exit but be ready to do a huge water chnage and to run carbon to get the toxins out of the water fast before they kill stuff.

I am trying to get them out of my tank.... it's not fun

figuerres
08/07/2008, 08:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13111010#post13111010 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Percula9
The wrasse will eat them.

sometimes.... but if there are very many the wrasse will not be able to eat nearly enough of them.

pete 43
08/07/2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks a lot,I have been syphoning a bunch off at a time,just like you were saying with the filtersock zipped tied around the end of the hose,and I must have gotten a thousand today alone.
After the water cleared after the replacement water was added,
there was a thousand more in their place! :mad2:
Wish me luck
So long,Pete

figuerres
08/07/2008, 09:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13111241#post13111241 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pete 43
Thanks a lot,I have been syphoning a bunch off at a time,just like you were saying with the filtersock zipped tied around the end of the hose,and I must have gotten a thousand today alone.
After the water cleared after the replacement water was added,
there was a thousand more in their place! :mad2:
Wish me luck
So long,Pete

also reduce feeding as much as you can, do as many water changes as you can.

the less decay/ wate/ exxess food the slower they will reproduce.

that with manual removal should cut down on the numbers of them. keep it up and they may die off naturaly.
if not then at the end use the exit to kill them.

pete 43
08/07/2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks alot,
I appreciate all of your help
So long,Pete