PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Reactor recirculating pump HELP

RobWein83
08/08/2008, 05:50 PM
What pump would you recommend as a recirculating pump for a calcium reactor? Currently I am using an Octopus OTP-2000, which is needlewheel. This pump has never worked from the start!

I first thought that it was air trapped inside the pump itself, but had someone take a look at it. This person thought the same thing, but then concluded that it was just not a quality pump. He said because it was a magnetically driven drive motor, that it gets off kilter and basically the pump does not "pump" at that point....

I can however get a little bit of use out of it if I unplug the pump for a couple of minutes and purge the air from the reactor by turning the effluent rate all the way up. Then, can see tons of bubbles coming out of the effluent. IS THIS ALL UNREACTED CO2?!! Since it was not being circulated through the reactor.

continued...He then recommended a direct drive pump by either Pan World, or Ewoki for their quality.

Now, I am here to ask, what do you recommend as a decent pump that works!

Should it be needlewheel for a recirculating pump, to chop up the co2?

or

direct drive?

or ????

any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

RobWein83
08/09/2008, 11:55 AM
*bump*

kau_cinta_ku
08/09/2008, 02:21 PM
do not use a needle wheel pump on a cal. reactor. just a standard direct drive. I would suggest something like a mag.2 or an equivalent ehime pump.

mflamb
08/09/2008, 06:46 PM
Mine has an Eheim pump.

RobWein83
08/20/2008, 07:54 PM
anyone else? last time.

Cove Beach
08/20/2008, 09:04 PM
I run an Ehiem with a standard impeller