PDA

View Full Version : Rogue Skimmer on under 40gal tank

GermanNuts
08/08/2008, 07:07 PM
Would there be any disadvantage to putting a Bermuda Rogue or CnC Marine skimmer on a tank under 40 gallons?

moondoggy4
08/08/2008, 07:41 PM
Do you have a sump? If not I would put one of these skimmers on it.

GermanNuts
08/08/2008, 07:50 PM
I do not have a sump since my tank is not drilled. I have thought about adding a sump, but at the moment I see it as more trouble than it is worth. I would prefer to stick hit HOT.

Does the Rogue require that you place a pump in the tank or can you plumb an external to it?

painkiller1009
08/08/2008, 10:13 PM
Check this thread out.
Bermuda Rouge (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1177814&perpage=25&pagenumber=19)

painkiller1009
08/08/2008, 11:23 PM
Heres a good read on the CNC
CNC skimmer thread (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1410279&highlight=nice+looking+hot)

GermanNuts
08/09/2008, 01:36 PM
Thank you, those are both excellent reads. I know both are overkill for a sumpless 37 gallon tank, but is there any reason to go with anything less if I do not plan on going any bigger for a couple of years?

moondoggy4
08/09/2008, 02:34 PM
I have a 33 gallon tank in my son's room withoout a sump, I have two skimmers on it trying to keep it under control, you will need to process 10 times the water column, by using a sump this is easy. You will also need good water circulation at the surface and a way to process all of the water through the skimmer because you do not have a sump.. So you will need to overskim, there are alot of Deltic hang on the back skimmers for a good price on this site try buying a used but in excellent shape. In Az you will need to look into a auto top off one of the best decision I made on my big tank try Autooff.com get the snail guard.

painkiller1009
08/09/2008, 03:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13121306#post13121306 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GermanNuts
Thank you, those are both excellent reads. I know both are overkill for a sumpless 37 gallon tank, but is there any reason to go with anything less if I do not plan on going any bigger for a couple of years?

You will end up getting the "I need a bigger tank" syndrome soon enough.

GermanNuts
08/09/2008, 10:58 PM
@moondoggy
I am in the works of getting an auto top off set up. Can't take constantly adding water to the tank while I am home. Thought about running a sump with the hot overflows, but with my schedule I do not have the time to initially monitor the tank to make sure it operates correctly. If anything were to happen, my wife would not know what to do. I have looked at the deltecs and they look excellent, but they are mucho $$. Trying to get best bang for my $$.

@painkiller1009
I have had "I need a bigger tank" syndrome since I brought this one home. I'd love to give our critters more space, but until I finish school and we move to our own place, this will have to do. I am already reading up and planning a bigger system for that day, when it comes.
I hear if you can manage a smaller tank, the bigger ones are cake.