PDA

View Full Version : More Flow

RBU1
08/10/2008, 12:03 PM
I would like to get some more flow in my 75 gallon tank without using powerheads and drilling the glass is not an option. I have my tank set up as a room divider with the smaller side about 4 inches away from the wall. I was thinking of doing some kind of closed loop. Can anyone help me figure out a way to do this? Pictures would be great. Thanks for the help. BILL

mityoak
08/10/2008, 03:58 PM
Hey Bill how the corals doing?if your using a canopy you could use a closed loop with a manifold on top of the tank, this would hide the plumbing.But with no power heads closed loop is your best bet.Jim

RBU1
08/10/2008, 06:29 PM
Hey Jim all is doing great. How are you?

mdrc
08/10/2008, 08:20 PM
ya mityoak is right get a pump like a iwaki 55 and plumb it with 2 eductors pointed lenthwise through the tank on opposite sides

RBU1
08/11/2008, 03:27 AM
Not sure I follow you. mdrc. What is an eductor? I also have to think how do I plumb it from the stand to the tank? Do I just take the in and the out up to the tank from the stand? I remember someone posting about using a T to fill the pipe or the pump will not work? I would really appreciate if someone can point me to some picture ideas. BILL

mityoak
08/11/2008, 03:14 PM
sorry Bill I dont have any pics but if you run a search you will find a bunch.The one problem I can see is that you will need a pipe in the tank for the pump to draw the water in from as well as the return plumbing.Jim

pjf
08/13/2008, 06:45 PM
Here is a website that sells penductors & eductors: http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=48_176.

RBU1
08/13/2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks

mboley1
08/18/2008, 11:00 PM
How about a cannister filter. simple to install, and you'll gain added filtration flexibility.

pjf
08/21/2008, 04:09 PM
Here is another solution to increase your flow without the addition of a closed loop or powerheads. You can use a more powerful return pump and eductors/penductors.

To ensure that your sump can handle the increased flow, you may have to redesign your refugium. Most refugiums with sand beds cannot handle the increased flow. Here is a bare-bottom suspended chaetomorpha refugium that is able to handle the 1000 gph flow generated by an Iwaki MD-30RXT.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/93304Refugium_975_gph-med.JPG
Note that the current flows under the first baffle to suspend the chaetomorpha against the PC lamp. A mesh screen (29-gallon tank divider) that is held against the 2nd baffle by the current keeps the chaetomorpha from being swept into the return. The chaetomorpha acts as a mechanical filter and collects detritus that is rinsed away during water changes.

The Remora in the photo could not skim due to the turbulence and has been replaced with a Tunze 9010.