PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmower blenny eye is different than other eye.

coryaquarium101
08/10/2008, 01:49 PM
I just bought a lawnmower blenny yesterday, and I didn't notice it until this morning that one of his eyes is shiny/glaze look compared to his other black eye. It is not white or cludy. I was told that he might have scraped it and its a bacterial infection. What should I do? I don't have a fish store near me that carries saltwater medication.

limitdown
08/10/2008, 07:52 PM
If you don't have a quarantine/hospital tank and antibiotics readily available, then you should just leave him in your display tank and see if he improves on his own. In the mean time, go to drfostersmith online and order some antibiotics. Furan 2, Minocycline (Maracyn 2) and Kanamycin all work well for bacterial infection.
If after a few days, his condition doesn't improve or worsens into popeye, then consider setting up a hospital tank and start medicating.

coryaquarium101
08/10/2008, 09:18 PM
I have a 10 gallon tank I can set up for a qt tank. Tell me how I should set it up, like what salinity level, temp, powerhead, bare bottom?

cory

limitdown
08/11/2008, 04:11 AM
1.026 like your DT, same temp, small powerhead, definitely bare bottom. Maybe a piece of PVC for your fish to hide. Small hang-on-back power filter (yes, the ones people use on freshwater tanks). This does not have to be fancy, just functional.

You'll need some biofiltration as well, which can come in the form of a small piece of live rock from your display. But don't put the rock back in your display.

For the future, I highly recommend putting a bunch of small sacks of bioballs/ceramic rings in your main sump. That way, you can just grab a sack and put it into your QT whenever you need it. After you're done with it, just dump the bioballs (they're really cheap).