PDA

View Full Version : Help! My Zoas are being killed by some plant

EBH
08/10/2008, 03:03 PM
A few weeks ago I started a thread on why my zoas were disappearing. Whatever it is I haven't been able to stop it and now the remaining polyps are in fierce competition with green straws growing among them. Meanwhile a thin greenish layer has formed on the surface of the water and it has small brown chumps in it... Do you think this is due to the dying zoas? Is it time to give and the zoas out of there?

Tomorrow I'll be leaving the whole thing alone for a good 10 days (to go look at slightly bigger reefs in egypt - yeehaa) so I'm a little nervous about leaving the system in this state...

-Thanks

650-IS350
08/10/2008, 03:58 PM
pics would help id.

bobafett
08/12/2008, 10:56 AM
"Meanwhile a thin greenish layer has formed on the surface of the water and it has small brown chumps in it... "

Not sure why the zoos are dying but this sounds like a bad case of Cyano (usually caused by high nutrient levels). If it is a new tank this is usually part of the cycling process. It also sounds like you have poor water circulation for this to be developing on the surface of your tank.

Add some power heads for circulation and do a few water changes over the next few weeks. Keep monitoring your water parameters.

EBH
08/12/2008, 01:23 PM
The tank has been up and running for about 6 months.. My circulation is at 1100 L/hour.. That should be enough for a 130 L tank shouldn't it?

JMCAquarium
08/12/2008, 05:39 PM
This may be a stupid question but do you have a skimmer ???

EBH
08/13/2008, 03:38 AM
I do, and it seems to be running just fine.. I've also added some easy-life fluent filter and most of the layer is gone now.. I've left the tank on it's own now, I hope it wasn't caused by the zoas because I left them in there to give them a chance to survive, although I doubt they will..