PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Clown pairing Q

ocean.mirage
08/10/2008, 07:30 PM
I already posted this Q in clownfish forum...but I had no response..in a few days, there's fewer people in there. I have a 90G. I ahd a single 3/4" maroon clown in the tank alredady for a couple months. I recently acquired a new 3" GS Maroon clown Si I got a 8"x6"x4" species tank. I put the little clown in it and the big female clown in the tank. question is..

1. Should I hang the species tank up high or try to find a place on the bottom for it. The female seems to cruise all over every area of the tank.

2. How long do I leave the little guy in his species tank? The female doesn't seem to spend much time with him yet..if at all.

Thanx

IFbettas
08/10/2008, 07:33 PM
You should just watch them for a while. These guys can be aggressive, so be careful when placing them together. I would watch to see if they display to each other aggressively or if they ignore each other. If they ignore each other, then there shouldn't be too much fighting when they go in together.

davocean
08/10/2008, 07:51 PM
I think lack of response is due to you're kinda doing it backwards compared to what we normally do, which is female first, then male in spec cont.
Normally I would say new clown in spec cont next to females hosting nem.
It's kinda easier to see females reaction to new guy, either she will charge at it looking like she wants to kill it, or you'll see male twitch, and female looking curious more than angry.
Hopefully being so small(first clown) it's still male, and it works out.
I'd leave it for about 3 days, and watch carefully, maybe tie a string or something so you can bring close enough to feed it.
Good luck.

ocean.mirage
08/10/2008, 08:18 PM
yeah I know...it's just kind of the way it worked out...I originally (5 weeks ago) had placed 2 3/4" maroons in the tank cause I couldn't find a large female. they didn't pair and fought for 3 days until one lost. So I have one small maroon in the tank and am trying to find a large maroon. I got lucky and found on the other week. and put it in. hence now the questions.

ocean.mirage
08/11/2008, 10:56 AM

ocean.mirage
08/15/2008, 07:27 PM
well the little guy usually swims toward her when she comes around his species tank. But she seems disinterested..well mayber she is checking him out...but she doesn't hover around it, that's for sure.

He has been in ther for a week now. and she has been in the tank for 2 weeks.

Should I let him out?

ocean.mirage
08/16/2008, 03:20 PM
well, I let the little guy out...it justs swims in front of her once in a while and shakes. and then she kisses the ltlle guy. but they mostly ignore eachother.